Chapter 4

After searching the village and not seeing Hiccup, Astrid went to ask Gobber, who pointed towards the forge, shrugging. Astrid walked into the hot forge and smiled as she saw her husband at his work bench.

As she got closer she frowned at how he sat. Hiccup was hunched over the desk, his face in his arms.

"Hiccup," Astrid spoke softly and made her way over to him, messing with the braids she had put there during their last late night 'talk.'

"I told you to make sure everyone was okay," Hiccup said, still not looking at his wife.

"Well, I tried... But someone I know isn't okay," she said reaching over to take his hand. "So, why aren't you?"

Hiccup then lifted his head and looked at Astrid, his eyes burning with tears. "I-I miss him, Astrid. I thought I could do it. I thought I could lead the village but I can't. Not without him."

"Oh Hiccup," Astrid smiled slightly as her husband clung to her like a little child. "You don't have to be exactly like Stoick. No one expects you to," She knelt down to the ground and lifted his face, wiping the tears off his cheeks. "You are the bravest, most handsome chief I know."

Hiccup sighed. "How did I ever marry the best woman on Berk?" he asked and Astrid kissed him, running her hands through his auburn locks. His lips were cold and salty with tears whereas hers were warm and tasted like honey. Still, Hiccup returned his wife's hungry kiss with the same amount desperation, acting as if they hadn't seen each other in a long time.

Hiccup pushed Astrid onto the work bench and began to leave a trail of kisses down her neck.

"I know someone else who isn't okay," Astrid said leaning her head back as Hiccup kissed her shoulder before finding her lips again.

"Really? Who?" He asked between kisses and she pulled away slightly.

"Hiccup," she said seriously and Hiccup had to think for a moment, then it dawned on him. Astrid was talking about the younger version of himself. "Just... think how scared he is right now, just finding out his father dies in the future."

Hiccup sighed and gave her a small passionate kiss, followed by a smack of his lips, and then nodded. "I'll be back. Hold down the village," he said and took off out the door, leaving his wife and her tingling lips alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup surveyed Berk on Toothless before thinking of the one place that the younger him would go. "There, Toothless," he pointed towards the forest and Toothless took off flying. The Night Fury stopped at the cove, the first place Hiccup had trained the dragon.

The young Chief dismounted Toothless and walked over to the boy, who was sitting on the ground, drawing.

"Hey," Hiccup said and the younger version of himself ignored him, continuing to draw in the dirt. "Listen, I'm sorry that you had to find out that way. We didn't want you to know because... Well... It could change everything."

"So you wanted to hide the fact that my father dies from me?!" Younger Hiccup asked angrily.

"I understand where you're coming from. If I found out this way I would be angry too. But you need to believe me when I say it was for your own good and for the good of our people."

Both were quiet for a moment before younger Hiccup began again. "Do I really shoot down a Night Fury?"

"You sure do," Hiccup said smiling. "Of course, no one believes you, but you really do."

"These days I feel like I just mess everything up."

"I know what you're talking about. I still have those days."

"Does it ever stop hurting?"

"What? The feeling of always messing up?" Younger Hiccup nodded. "No, you just make room for it. If it wasn't for Astrid and her special gift from the gods."

"Astrid has a special gift from the gods?"

"Yup."

"What is it?"

"She makes me smile, even when I don't want to."

"It still seems weird that you guys, or me and Astrid, are together. I mean, how do you know it's love?" past Hiccup asked.

"Does it make sense?" Hiccup asked messing with his wedding ring.

"No."

"It's definitely love then."

"So... I guess now I'm going to have to stay inside until you guys figure out a way to get me back, so I don't mess anything else up?"

"Well..." Hiccup glanced over at Toothless, who gave a shrug. "You already know Dad isn't here anymore... I don't see the harm in letting you go around the village and talk to people. I mean, I might also be able to teach you how to ride Toothless."

"Really?"

"Sure, why not?" Hiccup shrugged and younger Hiccup hugged him.

"Thanks."

Hiccup nodded and looked at the sun setting. "We should get going. Astrid probably has dinner ready."

"I hope she's a better cook now then she is where I live. Don't tell her I said that."

Hiccup laughed. "I won't," He said and the two began back to the village and the Haddock house.