Chapter 3

"You can stay here," Astrid walked with younger Hiccup into a small room, carrying furs and a pillow. After much discussion between her and present-day Hiccup, they decided that past Hiccup would stay with them. Hiccup said that there was less chance of the other riders revealing something drastic that happens to younger Hiccup and Astrid believed him, kind of.

She laid the blankets on the spare bed. "This should do for now, at least until it gets colder," Astrid said and younger Hiccup nodded.

"T-Thank you," He said. Astrid nodded and sighed looking around the room.

"Don't worry about the stuff in the corner. Hiccup and I are trying to fix this up for... Future purposes," she said and pushed a stack of books farther down on a table. "But feel free to read one of these. Hiccup said liked this when he was around your age."

Younger Hiccup nodded and uncomfortably shuffled over to the bed.

"I think we still have some of Hiccup's old clothes that might fit you. You know, the one's that weren't singed by fire from dragons," Astrid chuckled and past Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I uh, suppose you want to get settled. I'll be out helping Hiccup if you need anything."

When he didn't say anything Astrid walked out and closed the door, leaning against the wall sighing, before going out to the village.

Younger Hiccup glanced out the window at the dragons and vikings walking around. He saw the Night Fury, who the older version of himself dubbed, Toothless.

He still hadn't found his father, and whenever he brought up Stoick's name older Hiccup looked away, as if he was hiding something. Hiccup just wished he knew why he was here. Everything was going fine back home. Astrid was ignoring him and he was failing at trying to kill dragons.

Then suddenly he wakes up here and finds the supposedly older version of himself and Astrid, who's never given him a second thought, giving him lovey-dovey eyes. All he wanted was his dad.

"Oh Dad, where are you?" Hiccup whispered to himself and looked at the door Astrid had just closed before standing up off the bed. He decided that he was going to find out where his dad was, whether they wanted to tell him or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup greeted another villager on his way to the Great Hall. "Hiccup!" Eret saw the auburn and ran up to him.

"Oh, hello Eret. What can I do for you?" Hiccup asked and continued walking.

"Well, the meeting of the chiefs is in less than a moon and we still haven't decided if you will send Astrid or go yourself."

"We already decided that Astrid would."

"I know that. But..."

"Do you doubt General Hofferson can manage the task?" The young Chief raised an eyebrow at his friend.

"No, of course not. I know she can do it. But the other Chiefs will feel the same way."

"Eret, since when have we cared what other tribes cared about?"

Eret thought for a moment. "Never?"

"Exactly. So, what is the problem?"

"Well, there is one more thing we should discuss. The villagers are questioning if there will be a-"

"Hiccup! We have a situation!" Snotlout yelled and Hiccup groaned.

"Hold that thought Eret," he said and ran into the Great Hall. "What is it Snotlout?"

Before Snotlout could answer Hiccup looked around the room and saw younger Hiccup gawking at Valka. "Oh Thor," Hiccup cursed under his breath and rushed over. "Hey, Mom, and... Me... What's going on here?"

"You... You're my Mother?!" Younger Hiccup screeched.

Present-day Hiccup looked at Valka. "Please tell me you didn't tell him that you're..." He didn't even finish his sentence before Valka nodded slowly. "Great... Okay, younger me... Listen..."

"No! I want to know where my Dad is! Why is she here?! How do you even know if she is my mother! I mean you're mother... I mean..." Younger Hiccup started hyperventilating. By this time most of Berk's people had gathered around the three and Astrid came racing in, followed by Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Eret.

"I'm sorry Son, I didn't know you wanted to keep my presence a secret..." Valka said looking at the ground.

"Listen, Hiccup, there are some... Things that you can't know right now, okay. You'll just have to trust me when I say that your... OUR father is okay," Older Hiccup said putting his hands on younger Hiccup's shoulder.

"Well, I mean... If you consider being in Valhalla better..." Tuffnut commented.

"Tuffnut!" The others yelled as younger Hiccup's eyes widened.

"He... He's dead?" He asked as older Hiccup glared at the male Thorston twin.

"Alright, listen..." Hiccup tried to reason.

"No!" Everything went quiet as younger Hiccup shouted. "I want to know! Did my father die? Did Stoick the Vast die?!"

Astrid looked at Valka sadly and her mother-in-law returned the look. Hiccup's hands fell limp towards the ground as he looked away at the mention of his father's name.

"Y-yes. He is," Hiccup finally said and younger Hiccup backed away slightly.

"H-how?" Younger Hiccup asked.

"Tooth- a dragon, under the control of a man named Drago, killed him..." Older Hiccup said, tears welling in his eyes.

"No..." Younger Hiccup said.

"Now listen, I know this is hard-" Valka tried.

"No. No! He's not dead! He's not! He's alive! I know it! This isn't fair! It's not fair!" Younger Hiccup ran out of the Great Hall screaming.

Hiccup collapsed onto his knees as the memory of his father's death was replayed. "Hiccup," Astrid started but Hiccup shook his head and called Toothless. When the Night Fury arrived the young chief climbed on.

"Make sure everyone's okay. I... Need to clear my head," Hiccup cast a look at his wife before the dragon and his rider took off.