Chapter Nine: Valeria's Problem

The awkward silence that had settled over them didn't seem to lift once they had sat down to eat, Neymar couldn't help but wonder if he might have made a mistake about coming home to see her. 

Things had never been this awkward between them before and Neymar wasn't sure what to say; he felt so lost and he wasn't sure how to fix them when nothing seemed the right thing to say in this situation. 

Valeria stared down at her plate, she moved the pasta around her plate not looking at Neymar; she hadn't expected to see him so soon and she had hoped for some time to wrap her head around things. 

It was bad enough that she didn't have the answers that she wanted, she knew that she had to tell him what was going on and keeping him in the dark wasn't fair. 

"Val?" Neymar asked trying to catch her attention, he set down his cutlery as he looked at her; they needed to talk and there was no time like the present, there was no point in beating around the bush if they were both unhappy. 

No matter what came from their talk, Neymar hoped that they wouldn't be stuck in this limbo anymore; they needed answers and sitting here in silence wasn't helping them. 

"I know I've been absent recently and my actions in Paris haven't helped," Neymar started wanting to clear the area, he hadn't helped the situation and he wanted to know if she was still interested in him. 

It had been the start of September when they'd last really talked and now it was October; he had never thought that they would end up like this and stuck in a situation that neither knew what to say. 

Valeria looked at him, she couldn't deny that she had seen what he had been doing while in Paris; it had upset her to see her partying every night with strange women. 

But right now, she had more important things to worry about, the last thing that she needed was any drama in her life especially when her health was at risk. 

"I just never thought things would work out like this," Neymar admitted with a shake of his head, he hated that they had grown apart and he had never wanted anything like this to happen. 

He glanced at Valeria knowing that he had truly messed things up, he hated that he couldn't take back the last couple of months before he had moved to Paris.

"Ney..." Valeria whispered reaching for his hand, she was relieved when he gave it to her and she was glad that he was here; tears filled her eyes as she tried to work out just how to tell him the news. 

Her hands shook a little as she looked at him, her heart pounding in her chest as she wondered how he would react to her news; she was scared and she couldn't imagine just what would happen next. 

Neymar stared at her, he had no idea why she was so upset and he wracked his brain for what he could have done to cause this; he knew that they still had a lot to work on between them. 

He didn't think that he had done anything that bad and his mind drew a blank on why she would be this upset with him. 

"I had a doctor's appointment the other day," Valeria revealed softly, she stared down at the table and prepared herself to share what she knew so far about her condition. 

Neymar swallowed not sure where she was taking this, he would support her and things weren't going to go back to normal right away after the last month or so. 

The thought of becoming a father for a second time thrilled him and he adored Davi, he had always dreamt of having a large family; it was something that he had thought about a lot before he had moved to Paris. 

"Valeria... you know that I will support you no matter what," Neymar reassured her, he squeezed her hand and offered her a smile; he was sure that they could make this work and he would be here every step of the way.