Chapter Eight: Surprise Visit

"Seriously? Hungover again?" Dani asked shaking his head as he looked at his friend when he stepped into the locker room that morning, they had training in fifteen minutes and there was no denying that Neymar looked terrible. 

This was not what he had imagined when he had heard that Neymar was going to join him here; he had expected better from the younger man and he wished that there was some way to snap him out of this. 

There was already enough pressure on him without the pictures of him out partying nearly every night or at home; this wasn't the publicity that his time at PSG needed right now. 

Neymar didn't respond as he made his way over to his locker and got changed for the training session; he didn't need to hear the lecture that he knew was coming his way. 

He wanted to get through this training session so that he could go home and crawl into his bed, he wanted to sleep and he was sure the headache that he had woken up with was from exhaustion. 

Dani sighed moving away from his own locker to approach Neymar, he was only trying to look out for his friend and he knew that none of this could be easy for him. 

It was always hard moving from one club to another, he couldn't imagine doing it alone like Neymar had and he truly understood what a confusing time it could be for some people but he wanted to let his friend know that he wasn't alone. 

"You know you can't carry on like this, you have friends here," Dani murmured, he glanced around the locker room sure that people were growing tired of his antics off the pitch and they wouldn't stay quiet for long. 

It was hard to ignore what was happening with Neymar when he was on the front cover of some trashy magazine almost every other day for all the wrong reasons. 

"Have you spoken to Valeria?" Dani asked sure that she couldn't be pleased with how he was acting, he wouldn't blame her for being upset with all those girls that were throwing themselves at him. 

The two had been together for three years now and Dani was rather surprised that Neymar hadn't considered asking her to marry him. 

Out of all the women that Neymar had been linked with in the past, it was Valeria that had stuck around the longest and seemed to offer him a sense of normality that others just couldn't seem to give him.

"We keep missing each other," Neymar mumbled starting to wonder just how his relationship was meant to survive if he didn't see or even speak with his girlfriend; surely something would have to give sooner or later. 

Dani frowned at that, he had hoped that they would have been able to talk by now and he wasn't sure how to make this easier on them if they were struggling; he feared that if things didn't improve then they'd break up. 

"Maybe you could go and visit her before the international break, I am sure she'd love to see you before she comes to Paris for the half-term break," Dani suggested hoping to cheer his friend up. 

The partying and acting out was clearly a distraction from the fact that he was home alone and having his father around wasn't helping. 

Neymar's father might have meant well but his actions would only end up with Neymar losing the one person in his life that mattered the most besides his son.

It was the last thing that Dani wanted to see happen, he rather liked Valeria and he loved how she kept Neymar's feet on the ground rather than inflating his ego. 

"Maybe," Neymar mumbled not looking at Dani, his focus shifting to getting ready so that he wouldn't be late for training; he was determined to not fall behind his team-mates.