Part 43 - Broken Souls

-March 3rd-

It's been months.

A dark winter had finally passed leading to a slow spring. Finally, leaves were reappearing, blessing lonely branches, flowers breaking the frosted ground and opening to show their gorgeous pigments, skies became lighter and clearer, a hint of sun teased too. Everyone and everything was showing signs of a new beginning, new life and new hope. You took this as your final push to also move on.

You'd be lying if you said it had been easy; it hadn't. Never ending hours and days of just crying, then shouting, then clarity, then anger followed by tears. Millions of tissues built up in unfortunate bins, thousands of minutes wasted on phone calls at 2am to sleepless friends and embarrassing amounts of money spent on comfort food. But it had gotten you to this point now and you were still standing.

Weaker,

yet also stronger than ever.

— — —

Now back at school.

To be honest, it had been a weirdly easy term; in the sense of avoiding Seungchol. As your relationship was already hidden from everyone else, you didn't have to worry about others finding out and asking questions, which was a bonus. No one suspected anything which was a nice break from being tortured, so when you would see Rose strutting down the hall with her stupidly shiny engagement ring blinding your eye, you could just about put up with it.

School had been packed with pointless exams and stress which was good as it inhabited everyone, making the tension thicker but the atmosphere quieter, another bonus. You'd been swimming more than ever, perfecting your skills for end of year examination which was an actually healthy coping strategy. Josh's friends who knew about you and Seungchol always need to be 'walking on ice' when they saw you, being extra careful and going out of their way to ensure you and Seungchol never were together. You found it funny and silly, you were sure you could handle being with him, their help was unnecessary..or so you thought.

Wendy: "do you know what really annoyed me?! it's a whole mess, I mean come on, who thought in this day and age the education system would work!" Her rants were your favourite part of the morning, fuelling you for a heavy day.

Y/n: "valid points dear" you joked, turning the corner and waiting by her locker.

Wendy: "alright I need to run to music, I'll see you later" she tripped, sending an iconic laugh to shake the corridor. You giggled, closing your own locker door and feeling a tense body close to yours. You glanced over and saw him and the feelings tried to shake your heart so desperately.

Of course you'd seen him around, it's inevitable. You had classes with him and saw him daily, but you weren't usually this close or more importantly; alone. He glanced over quickly and sight your stare, making you stumble back and slam your locker shut drastically. You were acting like a child with a primary crush, so awkward and making it even worse. But that's the affect he had on you..

And still has

no matter how much you try and avoid it.

— — —
-3:12pm-

It was the last lesson and you were so close to escaping school. The teacher was preoccupied and everyone was rushing around, talking, laughing, shouting. You say there, staring at the wall clock as this was one of the lessons which you had no one with. Well, you had it with Coups but, like that's gonna help. You were so close to being free until you heard behind you-

"It can't be true can it..?"

You were sensible, you listened and did as told..but there's no denying your love for gossip.

"I mean I didn't believe it either but can you imagine!?"

"All I'm saying is ever since they got back from the winter break, they won't even look at each other. Usually I see her squaring up to him or him aggravating her but now..nothing"

"Oh my god something definitely went down between them, Seungchol is drop dead gorgeous and to be fair, Y/n is quite pretty too"

Shit.

"We should go see Lisa after school, she's in charge of the school paper so she will know"

They finally quietened down as everyone started to pack up but that familiar feeling of nervousness creeped back into your spine and so your whole body. What if people find out? It's even worse now as things aren't working out between you..you hated what he did, but you didn't hate him, and couldn't quite risk him getting expelled, you couldn't bare doing that to him, even if you were now nothing but a meer shadow.

As you came out you dropped your stuff, making you groan and pick it up. Brilliant, why do you have to be so clumsy!? Falling, dropping stuff, forgetting things. Honestly you wondered if you were secretly an old person and-

"We've spoken about this Seungchol!"

A whinging voice cut off your own thoughts as you learned round the corner, seeing Rose and Coups standing together. You rolled your eyes. Why should you care? You guys don't mean anything to each other. You're literally a stranger to him. You packed up your stuff and left, unaware of the scene. Someone else was though..someone with school authority and who knew everything about everyone.

Rose: "you need to get your act together if you want to marry me. I know you still like her and that needs to stop" you were long gone, immune to the poisonous truth she lay.

Coups: "will you give me a break? I've been following your stupid little plan for months now" he hit his head against the locker and sighed, rubbing the back of his sore neck frustrated.

Rose: "Seungchol we are getting married soon, I suggest you start acting like you love me before I remove the contract" her bitter words polluted his ears whilst a discrete tape recorder picked up the information shyly just a few meters away..

Coups: "how are you ok living in a lie? Don't you see! This is all fake, it's all a show to get money and to benefit the company, what part of you and your act doesn't understand that-!" A raised hand met his cheek as his face forcefully turned to the side, bruising by the second.

Rose: "don't you EVER accuse me of fakery again. I made you and your family, and I can very quickly take away everything. Don't forget who helped your pathetic family when you ran out of money" she stormed off, leaving him there alone, deep in thought. He hated what he'd become, in no way was he proud but had too much to loose to admit to his sins. With s deep breath he concealed the truth and continued his lie, walking to the dark room slowly. He knew exactly where he was going, yet lacked direction.