Chapter 4 || The First Clue

Nia sat up quickly. It took her a moment to register where she was, for it was definitely not her cozy blue bedroom back home. She looked around at the six other sleeping girls as the memories of last night came back to her. Immediately, she felt a heaviness on her chest, remembering the first clue would be read today and possibly expose her to everyone.

After a few minutes of being trapped in her mind, she returned to reality, and took a few deep breaths to calm her anxiety.

It's 7:03, and you're in the Abby Lee Dance Company. You came here yesterday, to be greeted by Gianna. This is a game. It will tell you who murdered Abby.

Nia continued this process, it was one her therapist suggested when she felt a panic attack coming on. "Look only at the facts," she whispered to herself. "Don't worry about anything that can't be fixed anymore."

Slowly, her nerves began to settle, and she flopped back onto the plush pillow and snuggled up in her sleeping bag.

None of the other girls were awake. Brooke would rustle every now and then, but it seemed all the girls but Nia were resting peacefully.

After all, it was fairly early, but Nia was used to rising at the crack of dawn. Some of her classes started before normal people would even be getting up.

With nothing to do but think, which, Nia knew wouldn't make her feel any better, she got up and quietly walked out of the den to find something that would distract her.

She came to the door labeled STUDIO A and cautiously moved her fingers over the raised print on the wood. Memories flooded back to her, and they hurt too much to relive. Sighing, she pushed the door open to get away from those times.

The studio which she'd danced in several years before hadn't changed a bit. Even the walls were the same color and the floors remained scratched and worn from hours of hard work. She turned around to the wall with the huge mirror, and gasped at what she saw.

There was still a pyramid of pictures taped onto the wall. Maddie was on top, of course, followed by Chloe, Kenzie, Nia, Brooke, Kendall, and Paige.

-(I italicized bc you're going to want to remember that order)-

However, there was a picture of Abby, not even close to the pyramid formed by the other girls.

Red spray paint resembling an X covered most of her face.

Under the picture was a phrase written messily in spray paint, "DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!"

Nia was utterly confused. Someone must have had quite the nerve if they were willing to write such a thing, especially considering the girls were looking for the murderer.

Something caught her eye. The lights caused a square-like object to illuminate in the corner of the studio. She carefully headed towards it, only to discover it was a silver envelope.

Could it be the first clue?

Hesitantly, Nia picked up the small, shiny object. Scrawled in neat, loopy handwriting were the words Clue ONE.

Looking around, she made sure everyone was out of sight, hopefully still sound asleep. She slowly lifted the flap, revealing a piece of fancy paper, much like the invitation.

Just as she was about to read the clue, one of the doors slammed shut.

"Still nosy as usual, I see? And doing the wrong thing, too. Sweetheart, doing the wrong thing never helps you fit in."

Nia paled at the mention of her cruel past, and the reminder that whoever was speaking knew what her secret was.

"I commend your detective skills, Miss Nia, but you're supposed to open the clues as a group," a familiar voice rang out. She quickly sealed the envelope closed and returned it to its original spot.

Once she turned around, she realized the voice belonged to Gianna. Nia stormed out of the room, leaving her waiting for a reply. Once she got back into the den, she noticed all the girls were awake.

She was flooded with questions.

"What was that loud noise?"

"Do you feel okay, Nia? You look pale."

"How long have you been up?"

"What were you doing in the studio?"

Becoming overwhelmed and annoyed, mainly by her recent encounter with Gianna, she spoke five words that she knew would shut everyone up.

"I found the first clue."

Noticing the wide-eyed expressions on all the girls' faces, she spoke up again. "I didn't open it, though."

All the others looked relieved, and headed into the den to begin the game.

"Good morning, I hope you all have slept well," Gianna rang out in a mockingly sweet one. "I see the sneak told you where she found the clue." Nia replied to that with a cold glare.

After a few moments of no action, Gianna motioned toward the small envelope. "Go ahead, someone open it."

At once, all the girls rushed forward. Kendall got to it first, quickly opening the flap and pulling out the fancy paper.

"Money is the root of all evil," Kendall retorted.

That was it? That was the clue?

Nia quickly listed possibilities of ways that the words in the group dance could have any meaning.

Money, coins, cash, change, rich. Evil, witch, bad guy, villain. Root, ground, dirt, nature, tree.

Tree.

That was it!

"Guys," Nia spoke excitedly. "money is the root of all evil, we have to dig something up! Let's head out to the big oak tree in the parking lot!"

Feeling accomplished, Nia followed the group of girls outside, feeling just as nervous as the rest of them.

One of them was about to be exposed.

--

author's note: heyyy! omg this story is really dragging out yay my last story the chapters were like three paragraphs long lol. read, vote, comment, add to your library, all that jazz! ◡̈

-caidawg