Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

Next to her stood Paul, and he was staring right at me, and as our eyes met, I watched his widen in nothing but complete surprise.  At first, I couldn't understand why he looked so surprised, why he was staring at me oddly but then.. 

I felt funny, I felt a pull that I had never felt before.  I felt like I was connected by a thick wire to Paul, and this wire was reeling me in, without thinking about it, I followed the pull to this boy and soon I was standing in front of him.  Sam and the other two girls seemed to stare knowingly but I couldn't describe this feeling.   

"Nice to see you again Paul," I muttered, suddenly realizing how close I was.  I blushed, stepping back a few feet and chuckling nervously.  I had no idea what had gotten into me, but I suddenly felt much too uncomfortable.  

"What happened to your face?"  

I blinked before glaring at the way the words had sounded coming out of his mouth.  He was a rude one.  

"She got into a fight," Jake answered for me, smirking as I grinned, remembering the look on Beatrice's face as I'd punched her.  "She won," he bragged for me, before ruffling my hair up.  I glared before jerking back and staring at Paul as an odd noise came out of his throat.  

"Did you just growl?"   I didn't need him to answer, I'd known that that was exactly what he had done, and it reminded me of the fact that they could very possibly be werewolves.  Paul had just given me my largest hint that that was true.  

He was a werewolf.  

I backed away as he began shaking, his eyes burning with anger as Jacob put his arms around me, pulling me behind him and stepping back.  

"Paul, not here, not right now," Sam stated, his voice not giving way for an argument, but Paul didn't even seem to hear him.  The girl with the scratches down her face moved away from Sam's side and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from even Jacob.    

"It's not safe right here, we should back up quite a bit more." 

"They're going to shift out in the middle of the day, surrounded by people?"  The words left my mouth before I'd even thought about it, giving away that I knew what they were.. and if they weren't werewolves then I sounded like a lunatic.

My words had everyone freezing in their tracks, even Paul had stopped to stare at me, his shaking subsiding slightly as he straightened his back.

"What did you just say?"  Same questioned, his eyes hard and cold where before they had been neutral.   

I swallowed painfully before shrugging.  "I have no idea what I'm talking about, just ignore me. I think I'm going to go now!"  I turned to walk away but a hand clamped around my upper arm almost painfully and I knew I wouldn't be getting away that easily.  

What had I gotten myself into, I wondered, glancing at Jacob as he released me.  

"What do you know, Nemesis?" Sam asked, and I took a moment to wonder how he'd known my name, but then realized Jacob had probably told him at some point or other.  

"You're werewolves," I shrugged, figuring I could go with the 'I dont care what you are' approach, and I hoped that I hadn't just signed my death warrant.  I stared back into his eyes as if I wasn't terrified out of my wits and I realized something then.  How could I possibly not be scared of vampires, but here I was terrified out of my wits around werewolves.  

I never did like dogs.  They made me sneeze.  

I shook my head of those thoughts as I saw Paul and Sam step forward, their eyes never leaving my own as I shoved my hands into my pockets, and tried to make myself smaller and slightly unintimidating.

Fight or flight.

Fight or flight.  

...Fight.  

I wouldn't run.  They were just as human as I was, even if they could change into wolves.  

They're brown eyes glittered in the ever dimming light before Sam finally spoke.  "We'll talk about this later, when there aren't so many people around.  Paul, get your mate to the bonfire, Jacob come with me."  

What was I supposed to do?  Paul was either supposed to grab one of the other two girls and take them to the bonfire, which one was his mate?  I'd read enough about werewolves to know how most of this worked, if not all of it.  Well, I'd hoped I did anyways, I suppose the books could be wrong.  

But what caught me by complete and utter surprise was when Paul grabbed my arm, pulling me gently yet firmly towards the growing crowd of children, teenagers, adults and elders, pushing me to sit down before he sat calmly next to me.  

My mind blanked as I dug my fingers into the sand next to me, I tried desperately to process what had just happened, but I couldn't seem to do it.    Sam told Paul to get his mate.  Instead of grabbing one of the other two girls, he'd led me to the bonfire.  But Sam said to take his mate to the bonfire.  It wasn't one of the other two girls...

I was his mate?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

I couldn't pay attention to the words that the man in front of me said, the legends and and stories I had been so immersed in those few weeks ago now went through one ear and out the other as my brain attempted to comprehend and wrap itself around the fact that I was a werewolf's mate.  If that was true. 

I could have been just dreaming.

Yeah, you're just dreaming, my mind muttered sarcastically making me grimace as I thought about it.  It was worth a shot.  

So what? I was just supposed to accept that I was mates with a werewolf, I'd only known they existed for a couple of weeks but now suddenly one werewolf was calling me another's mate.  Was I his mate?  I looked over at him, he had that angry glare in his eyes, the one that made him look hard and cold.  

I liked it.  It also made him look unbelievably handsome.  

Did I want to be a werewolf's mate?   

I didn't want to keep thinking about this, in all honesty, I couldn't think about this any longer, my head had begun pounding uncomfortably and the only answer I could come up with was.. yes. If all that I had heard about werewolves and mates were true, then I would never find someone better.   

I wanted to be the mate to a werewolf.

[[A/N: There is either one chapter AND an epilogue left.... or just one chapter left.. or just an epilogue left.. ugh. I dont know.  I'm going to go to bed now.  More writing when I awaken.]]