Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

"Nemesis, what're you doing here so early?"

Alice only knew where one of the wolves lived, and that was Jacob, so of course, I was banging on his door at exactly six thirty in the morning.  Jake's hair was tousled, meaning he'd just gotten out of bed, and I probably woke him up; but at that moment, I really didn't mind all that much.

"I need to see Paul, please Jake."

"You're insane if you think I'm going to wake him up this early.  He'll kill us both."

I sighed, my eyes roaming around the houses around us before turning back to Jacob.  "Well where's his house, I'll do it myself."

"You're serious.  Is something the matter?"  He checked me over real quickly, his warm brown eyes moving up and down my body as if looking for any injuries before he stepped further out of his house and onto the porch, shutting the door behind him with a soft thud.  He wore  nothing more than cut off shorts, his feet were bare as was his nicely defined chest but even then, I couldn't bother to really look at him.  I just needed someone to hug me, and I needed that someone to be Paul, even if he didn't like me all that much.

"A bit of something but I really just need to see Paul, okay?  Where's his house?"  I questioned impatiently, my stomach starting to feel odd as tears stung my eyes.  I didn't want to talk about what had happened, if I did, I knew I'd break down within seconds. 

"Four miles down the road," he pointed to the right before continuing, "not far from Sam and Emily's place."

I nodded quickly before waving and starting a quick pace down the road.

"Nemesis!  Just.. wait a second, I'll take you." Jake seemed reluctant but I didn't let that bug me, he could get me there much quicker on his motorcycle, and right now, that's all I needed.  He only took about two minutes and then he was back in front of me, leading me around his house and back to a decent sized, home built shed-garage thing.  After he opened up the door, I saw a Volkswagen of some sort, though I'd never seen something like it before so I couldn't place a name to it.  It definitely wasn't a Beetle, that was for sure, but next to it was his motorcycle, which he backed out of the garage, hopping onto it and kickstarting it before handing me the helmet he had. 

Then we were on our way.

With the helmet protecting me from view, I finally felt the tears I'd been holding back escaping, sliding down my face one by one.  I clung to Jake for the entirety of the short ride to the house I assumed to be Paul's, my hands loose around his waist, and in the back of my head.. I kind of wished I'd fall off. 

Shaking that thought out of my head, I climbed off the motorcycle as we pulled to a stop, trying to ignore the awful ideas running through my mind.  I never believed myself to be suicidal, but with everything that's happened, I felt like at any moment I might jump off a cliff into the frozen ocean, and I wouldn't second guess myself if I did it.  I bit my lip hard as my eyes began to tear up once more, mentally hating myself for my thoughts.  But no matter what my thoughts where, as long as I didn't put them into action, I'd be all right. 

I walked up to the small, rather run-down house before knocking on the door loudly. Looking back towards Jake, I noticed how he stayed far behind me, as if scared that something would happen to him if he got any closer to me, and I waited impatiently for Paul to open his door.  When he finally did, I didn't waste a second of my time explaining myself to him, my throat constricted upon itself as I through my body into his, wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my face into his toned abdomen. 

 For several seconds he did nothing, but after a bit he finally wrapped his arms around me before leading me into his house, down a narrow hallway and in to what I assumed to be his room.  It was a bare room, it had a bed with sheets and a blanket, the first being a dark blue color and the latter being a nice vibrant red.  His room was hung with makeshift blinds, which were just old blankets, keeping the light out of the room which I was actually pretty grateful for as my head was pounding to a rhythm all it's own. 

"What's wrong?"  He spoke slowly as if scared to frighten me, his voice nothing above a whisper while I curled into him, digging my nails into his shoulder as I could no longer hold back the flood of tears that threatened to overcome me.  I buried my head between his shoulder and neck, hot tears pouring down my face and onto his skin as I began to sob, my cries echoing just slightly in his nearly empty room. 

"He's gone an-and it's all my fault."

For someone who seemed to always be mean, rude and uncaring (at least that's the way Jake made it seem when talking about him), who barely knew me or anything about me, he was acting unusually nice.  He let me curl into his hard, muscled body, wrapping his thick arms around me, one palm resting mid-back, the other at the back of my head as he seemed to rock me, just letting me cry into him.

Once I'd quieted down, I raised my watery eyes up to look into his face, nearly crying again at the look of concern on his face. 

"Who?" He questioned, letting me move from his lap, I didn't remember being pulled onto it, but I couldn't bring myself to ask as I thought back to how I'd found Tommy just hours earlier, as I answered him.

"My brother.. and he's gone.  I don't know what to do, Paul." 

"I'll help you figure it out, Nem.  Everything will be okay."

I nodded, though I wasn't sure if I actually believed him.  His heart pounded faster than mine, his temperature was higher than mine, he was above me in so many ways but here, on this bed, we were equal.  Here, in his room, he gave me hope that I needed to deal with a future I couldn't see.