Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven: 

The rest of that night had been filled with arguing (mostly between Paul and I), talking and eventually laughing and joking around with the other boys.  

As I was dropped off later, around three in the morning by Paul, I turned to him without much thought.  

"Thank you.. for accepting me."  I quickly kissed him on his cheek, reveling at how much heat soaked through my lips before climbing out of the truck, shutting the door and running inside with a much too-large smile plastered on my face.  

As I shut the door behind me, I could already tell something was wrong.  The house was a wreck, a lamp in the corner which had been my mother's was broken, clothes were strewn all over the floor, the TV was lying facedown. 

"Tommy?" I called out, questioningly, moving down the narrow hallway towards his room.  I knocked on the door quickly before trying to open it, only to find that it was locked.  Knocking harder and more urgently, I pushed against the hollow wood.  

"Tommy, if you don't open the da.mn door right now, I'm going to bust it down!" 

I waited a few seconds, listening for any movement before backing up just a few steps, lifting my leg up and giving it two solid kicks, listening as the thin wood splintered and broke off at the hinges.  Well, it was one good thing about having a cheap apartment.  

I almost didn't notice him, sitting against the wall in a corner, he was so pale he almost blended in with the wall.  In his arm was a needle, and as I moved closer, I realized it was still half full.

"Tommy...?"  I trailed off, staring at him as I knelt down, touching him and realizing he was cooler than normal, much too cold for someone who was...  "Tommy?' I stood still, watching his chest for the normal rise and fall of breaths, but they didn't come. 

"Tommy!" I shook his shoulders, the needle falling out as his barely clad body flopped like a puppet.  My breath hitched as I realized what was going on, my brain going into overdrive as I grabbed my cell phone, quickly punching in the three numbers that would bring help too my brother.  

"Nine-One-One; where's your emergency?"  

I couldn't breath as I kept staring at my brother.. The operator on the other line said something I couldn't understand before I finally rattled off what was happening, crying and gasping as I shook my brother, telling her our address as she asked for it. 

"Okay ma'am, I've sent an emergency dispatch to your location, now listen to me closely.  Lay him on his back and give him CPR, five compresses on his chest, your right hand over your left, before holding his nose closed and breathing a short puff of breath into his mouth, tipping his chin up slightly." 

I nodded, vaguely knowing she wouldn't be able to see me before doing just as she said, dropping the phone out of my hands and pulling my brother so that he lay flat upon the floor on his back.  I put my hands on his chest, right below his ribs before I pressed down, going by what she said and what I knew out of pure instinct. 

One.  Two.  Three.  Four.  Five.  

I tipped Tommy's head back with one hand and pinched his nose closed with the other before pressing my mouth over his and puffing air into him.

Tears ran down my face as I heard the sirens off in the distance, getting closer and closer as I repeated the actions.  One, two, three, four, five compresses on his chest before puffing air into his lungs.  

As the door burst open, I moved away, watching as first responders seemed to swarm him, lifting him onto a stretcher, as one continued where I left off giving CPR and a couple others began moving them out of the apartment and towards the ambulance. 

"Ma'am, you'll have to meet us at the hospital," a male responder muttered as I tried to follow them.  

I wanted to argue, I wanted to fight with them to let me ride with them, but I knew better.  That was wasting precious time for Tommy.. I nodded, turning away and listening to them drive off, sirens blaring loudly.  I shivered in the cold, my skin prickling with goosebumps before I took off walking in the direction the ambulance had gone.  

The night was too dark, there were nearly no lights for me to see by and everything seemed too loud in the quiet.  I could hear a car in the distance, coming up the road I was currently walking along, and I moved further away from the road as the nervousness set in that I would be kidnapped, raped or ran over.    

As the car, sleek, shiny and undoubtedly expensive, stopped next to me, my fears were heightened, bad thoughts and ideas flew through my mind about all the things that could happen.  It could be a murderer in the car, a rapist, a stalker, the list went on and on.  

It could also be a nice old lady offering you a ride... My mind seemed to whisper, but I highly doubted a nice old lady would be driving a sports car.   

"Not a rapist, or a murderer, or a nice old lady.  Get in the car, Nemesis." I jerked my head towards the window that had been rolled down and sighed in relief as I realized it was Edward Cullen, Jasper and Alice in the back seat with him.  

"What are you guys doing here?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowing, wondering why they were here and offering me a ride instead of sucking blood or in the safety of their own home.  

Edward laughed, probably at my train of thought before he reached over and opened the passenger side door for me.  "Alice saw this, we figured we'd drive you to the hospital. It'll take you a while to get there walking."  I was so obsessed with wondering what was going on at the hospital that I never even wondered what Edward meant by 'Alice saw this'. 

I smiled at him before thanking them for coming to pick me up.  

The ride was relatively silent.  Alice and Jasper cuddled up in the backseat together, just holding each other while classical music played from the stereo.  I stared out the window at the passing, blurry and darkened scenery.. my mind replaying what had happened to my brother over and over, wondering what had happened.  

Had he done this on purpose?  Was it an accident?  Who tore up the house, him or someone else?  Was he with someone else and they left him when they realized he had overdosed?  

"We're here.." Edward muttered, getting out of his seat before walking around the car and opening my door much like I always see older men do for their moms, sisters, girlfriends and wives.  I smiled nervously at him, my mind thinking too much of what was going on.  Was Tommy alive?  Could they save him? Is he going to be okay?

I sighed as I felt a blanket of calm wrap around me, my frayed nerves seeming to mend as I stopped worrying.  

I'd never been so thankful for Jasper's gift before.  

"Thanks."  

I hadn't expected them to follow me across the hospital parking lot and into the building, but they did. Edward spoke to the woman at the counter, asking her where the emergency unit was and what room my brother was in before he turned away, leading us in the direction we needed to go.  

I broke down crying once again as we finally found the room. We weren't allowed inside, they wouldn't let me see my brother, nobody told me if he was okay, if he was alive, if he was dying. I was told nothing, I just cried as Edward led me into the waiting room and let me curl into his chest, my tears soaking through his clothes. 

[[A/N: I tried to publish this chapter a few days ago, but wattpad has been having technical difficulties.. ANYWAYS.... As you guys can see, I decided to continue the story for a few more  chapters.  I'm not sure how well this one turned out, so let me know, okay?  Peace and Love, ijay]]