chapter 5

Oh my gosh it was beautiful! We were parked out by a gorgeous lake that had little lights all around it that reflected off of the water perfectly. There was also a picnic blanket set up with two plates that both had chicken, green beans, and little boiled potatoes that were cut into hearts. It was all too beautiful to take in at once.

"Riker, this is amazing!" I was in complete awe. "Well the best deserves the best right?" I gave him a huge hug and said, "no, you're the best"  

We continued to hug until he finally said, " we better not let the food get cold!" He was so funny. He could be the most romantic person ever but can never resist his love for food.

After we were done eating, we chatted for a little while. Then he said, "oh I almost forgot!" I saw him run to his car and back. When he sat back down, he had his guitar in both hands and started to strum Love Me. He sang me the whole song and I applauded loudly at the end. He then jumped on top of me and pinned my arms on the ground. I was laughing so much that I could hardly breathe! Then he leaned down, softly kissed my forehead and said "love me?" 

I stroked his white blonde hair and replied simply with a "yes"

He then scooped me up and carried me to the bridge over the lake. I was giggling and playfully hitting his chest so that he would put me down but he didn't until we got over to the edge. He set me down and placed himself right beside me. I leaned my head on his shoulder as we watched the ducks splashing in th water. Just when I thought this night couldn't get any better, he did something that totally caught me off guard. I was playing in the water with me feet when i noticed that Riker stood up. Before i could ask him if he was ok, he got down on one knee and said, "Emma Faith Coleman, will you be my girlfriend?" I was so over joyed that i flung my arms around his strong neck (practically knocking him over) and said, "Of course I will". He beamed and pulled me on to his lap. Then he whispered in my ear, "I love you" 

Those three simple words changed my life. It wasnt the first time a boy has told me that but it was the first time that I knew it was truly meant.

When we got back, it was almost midnight which meant my curfew was 15 minutes ago.I really didn't want to get introuble again so I quickly kissed him goodbye and started to make my way to the door when he grabbed my arm. I looked back and he had sad puppy dog eyes on and said, "one more?" 

"Oh alright". I held his face in my hands and gave him one more passionate kiss before running inside.

As soon as I opened the door, I saw my mom sitting in a chair in the living room. I was sure she was going to yell at me for being home a few minutes late but when I looked a little closer at her, I saw that she had been crying. I slowly walked up to her and put my hand on her shoulder. "Whats wrong?" 

She looked up at me like I was dumb and then said "don't you remember what today is?" 

I thought for a moment and then gasped. I completely forgot that today marked the 3 year anniversary of my dad's death. 3 summer's ago, my dad was called for a mission in Iraq. He was an 8 year veteran going into that battle. A few weeks later, we got a call saying that he had been killed by a missile that hit him into the stomach. It went straight through him and he died on impact. After that summer, my mother and I had to start going to therapy sessions to deal with our "grief". But no matter how many sessions i went to, i would never get my dad back and that was the part that hurt the most. I would never be able to hug him when im happy or ask him for help on a math problem. He would never see me graduate, get married, or grow old with his beloved wife. Suddenly, I could feel the tears well up in my eyes. I felt horrible! How could I forget that today was the day of my own dad's death?!? Ashamed, I dragged my feet all the way up the stairs and got into bed. I decided that the best thing i could do was pray. I prayed for my mom to have less grief than normal about this difficult ocvasion. I also prayed that my relationship with Riker would only grow stronger. Then, i turned off my light and quietly said, " I love you daddy" and fell alseep.