Chapter Seven

A blush crept onto my cheeks, as John hugged me, and kissed me, when I got to school. We had been going out for a week, now. Abbie was giggling about something with Stephan, as they walked towards us.

I felt something brush against my hand, and turned to look at Max. He was standing beside me, and he quickly tucked his hand closest to me into his pocket.

"Hi," he smiled.

My heart skipped a little beat, even though John was standing right beside me, holding my hand. Why was Max doing this to me, all of a sudden? I was supposed to be head-over-heels for John...not Max!

The bell went, and we all headed off to class. Cleo hung at the back of class, and didn't come to speak to us; not even at lunchtime.

John disappeared to the bathroom, and Max came towards me.

"Lily, can we talk a moment?" he asked.

I shrugged. After what had happened earlier that morning, I wasn't sure if going off to talk to him, alone, was such a good idea. But, for some unknown reason, I nodded.

"Sure, just for a moment," I said.

We walked outside, and hid around the corner.

I looked at him, wondering what he could want. "What's up?"

Max tucked some loose hair behind my ear, and quickly pushed his hand into his pocket, with a shrug.

"Max, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Lily, why are you with John?"

His questioned surprised me, and I took a deep breath.

"Because...I like him," I said.

"But you don't...love him, do you?" Max asked.

"Why does it matter, Max? I like John very much," I told him.

Max pursed his lips, and just looked at me. For a moment he reminded of the way Leonardo DiCaprio looked at Kate Winslet, on Titanic, whenever he saw her. My heart beat wildly in my chest, and I felt a bit sick.

"Do you love me, Lily?" Max asked.

I was speechless for a moment. "Max, how can you ask me that? John is my boyfriend."

"Forget about that, Lily, and tell me the truth," Max said. "I know you look at me sometimes, and you always look so happy whenever I'm around."

"Don't be silly; I'm like that with everyone," I said, not sure if my heart could handle going any faster.

Max took my hand, and stroked my knuckles with his thumb. I kicked myself, mentally, and looked down at our joined hands; but for some reason, no matter how guilty I felt, I couldn't let go. In fact, in my head, I was begging Max to pull me close, and hug me tight.

"Lily," Max's voice broke my thoughts.

I looked into his eyes, again, feeling sick and dizzy. "Max, why are you asking me this? Why now? I'm with John."

"Because, Lily, I like you," Max said, softly, pulling his hand away from mine.

"What?" I asked. "Well, I'm sure you do; we're friends."

But, for some reason, my heart knew that wasn't what he meant.

"Yeah, we're friends, but I like you more than that, Lily," he said, his eyes never leaving mine.

John suddenly came around the corner, and smiled at us. "Hey, I was looking for you," he said, kissing my cheek, and putting his arm around my waist.