Chapter Twelve

Abbie's POV:

Lily came over and I fixed up some orange juice and wedges with sour cream. When she walked through the door, her eyes were sparkling.

"So, tell me all about it," I said.

"It was so lovely, Abbie," Lily bubbled. "He took us for a picnic, and we just talked and kissed. It was so romantic. I'm so glad we didn't break up. I can't imagine what I would have done."

I hugged her, and we went out onto the porch, where I'd put the orange juice and wedges.

We sat down on the seats, and I put on a pair of sunglasses, to block out the sun rays. Lily didn't seem bothered by the sun, as she chattered on about her date with John. I was so happy for her; but I did wish I had a boyfriend, too. I wish things had worked out between Max and I, but I wasn't going to let him have a chance with me again; not after what happened. I'd forgiven him, and moved on from the whole baby thing, but I did wish things had worked out. I didn't necessarily wish that there was still a baby inside of me, but I do wish Max was still my boyfriend.

I lost track of what Lily was saying, and then realized she was asking me a question.

"What do you think?" Lily was asking.

"Um..." Now what do I say? "I don't really think it's for me to say."

"What do you mean? Of course, I want your opinion," Lily said. "I mean you're my best friend. And I would go and do something like that without your opinion."

"I'm sorry, Lily, my mind was somewhere else," I said. "Forgive me, what do you need my opinion on?"

"Are you all right?" Lily asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah. Now what were you saying?"

"John wants to take me away for a weekend," Lily said. "So do you think I should say yes?"

My mind wandered off again, and I heard Lily sigh.

"Where is he taking you?" I asked.

"I don't know yet," Lily replied. "He just asked me about it and we didn't really go into detail. It was just a fleeting idea he had."

"It sounds really nice, Lily," I smiled. "I think you should say yes."

"Okay," Lily grinned. "I'm going to tell him!"

I smiled and took a sip of my orange juice.

Lily started tapping away on her phone, and then she looked up at me.

-

Lily's POV:

Abbie was upset. I could tell as I looked up from my phone. I couldn't think why and she'd avoided discussing it just a couple minutes ago.

"Are you telling him?" Abbie asked.

"Yup," I smiled, and hit the send button. "Abbie, are you sure you're okay?"

I put my phone face down on the table and moved my seat out from the table so it was angled facing her.

Abbie shrugged. "No I don't want to spoil your day," she said.

"You could never spoil my day," I said. "I'm your friend, Abbie. Tell me what's wrong?"

"I guess I'm still upset." Abbie ran her fingers along the edge of the table.

"About the baby?" I asked.

Abbie shook her head. "No, I've moved on from that I think. It's more about Max. I wish I still had a boyfriend but I wish it was different."

"You need to find a guy who really cares about you, Abbie," I said. "Max wasn't good for you, and even though you've forgiven him I don't think you should get back together with him again."

Abbie nodded, and I could see she was thinking about my words, but I knew that she didn't agree with me. Going back into a relationship with Max would be such a bad idea.