Long Term Goals

Title: DAST: Long Term Goals

Pairings: Harry/Louis

Rating: R (for slash themes and violence)

Word Count: 5,168

Summary: The Dog and Armed Swat Team unite to bust open one of the most active and dangerous terrorism rings in Britain. Harry finds himself uneasy at the end of the night. AU

Disclaimer: This story is complete fiction - i.e. it had never happened. All real people in this story own themselves and I am in no way affiliated with them. Nor do I make any money from writing about them.

Harry's heart was pounding as he lifted the phone off the hook in the kitchen. His fingers shook uncontrollably around the plastic with the surge of adrenaline shooting through him and it took him a few seconds to hear the voice on the other end of the line. Jesus, he had nearly said 'I love you' to Louis. What the hell had gotten into him? Since when did he get so caught up in the moment that he lost his senses? That shit could get him killed in his line of work! 

However, despite disbelief at his own nerve, Harry also felt quite disappointed that he hadn't got the chance to finish the sentiment. At least now it would have been out there and he wouldn't have to find the courage to say it again sometime in the future. The question was, though; did Louis know what he had been about to say? It must have been reasonably easy to figure out giving the moment they were having. If so, what was he thinking? Was it good or bad? 

Harry found himself feeling very nervous as he turned around after putting the phone down. He could feel Louis' presence in the doorway - having come through too out of curiosity over who was calling. It took all Harry's courage to look Louis in the eye and all his skill to keep his voice even. 

"We're needed - code red. Suspect package at Chelmsford Station." 

Louis straightened up, instantly business-like, "Let's go then," he said, turning around and making for the front door. Harry followed him and they both quickly pulled on their boots and coats. Just as Louis made to open the door Harry's hand shot out and stopped him. Louis turned around in surprise - time was of the essence after all. 

"Louis?" Harry said quietly, imploringly, willing Louis to understand what he wanted to say without him saying it - even though Harry didn't even really know what he wanted to say in the first place. His heart skipped a beat as Louis's eyes softened and the corners of his mouth quirked up. He fought not to close his eyes as the shorter man reached out and cupped his cheek gently,  

"We'll talk later, yeah?" said Louis, quietly - both promising and reassuring him.  

Harry nodded and leaned down to press a slightly anxious kiss against Louis' lips. Louis let out a small note of pleasure and kissed back. His hand tightened on Harry's cheek, pulling him closer. "Mmmph," Louis tugged himself away a second later, although reluctantly it seemed, and murmured, brushing his thumb over Harry's bottom lip, "we'll finish that later, too." 

Harry smiled and ducked down; pecking Louis' lips once more, "Agreed, I'll see you on-scene then. Be careful." 

"You too," Louis nodded, squeezing Harry's hand before turning away. 

Harry followed him down the front steps to their cars, which were parked snugly at the kerb. They jumped into their motors, turned on their flashing lights and sped off towards their respective bases.

~*~

"Building clear, standing-by for phase 3. Over." 

"Understood Sierra-Oscar-4, send in the dogs."