Regroup

Title: DAST: Regroup

Pairings: Harry/Louis

Rating: R (for slash themes and violence)

Word Count: 5,665

Summary: The Dog and Armed Swat Team unite to bust open one of the most active and dangerous terrorism rings in Britain. Harry finds himself uneasy at the end of the night. AU

Disclaimer: This story is complete fiction - i.e. it had never happened. All real people in this story own themselves and I am in no way affiliated with them. Nor do I make any money from writing about them.

Louis woke up feeling incredibly warm and weighted down - particularly across his chest. Slowly cracking his eyes open, he tilted his head ever so slightly and glanced at the clock. It was 2:48 in the afternoon according to the red numbers. That meant he had had more or less eight hours of sleep. He closed his eyes again, sighing quietly and then smiled. Harry was still wrapped tightly around him, breathing warm and wet against the back of his neck. It tickled a little and Louis fought the urge not to scratch at his skin. He didn't want to disturb the other man - who, by the sound of his even breathing - was still fast asleep. Louis couldn't help a small smile, though, at how tightly Harry was gripping at him. Their skin felt sweat-sticky where they were pressed together and there was a deep warmth to Louis' bones borne of their close contact. It wasn't often Harry sought comfort or let his emotions manifest in affection. Well... actually that wasn't quite true. Harry was very affectionate but it was all in his actions - never in his words.  

Louis had known the moment Harry had kissed him on the couch that he was still reeling after watching him get shot that night. It was why he never made a comment when Harry reached for him later on in bed. Not that he actually minded some cuddling but he knew Harry liked to draw a line so that they didn't get too complacent. If anyone at work found out they were in a relationship then a. they would be in a LOT of trouble with the management and b. they would no longer be allowed to work together. Due to the way their teams were devised, it would probably mean one of them would be transferred elsewhere. The closest Swat Unit out-with their district was fifty miles away. The nearest dog unit was sixty - not including the training school. If they were caught and split up, their only hope of staying together as a couple would be for one of them to quit the job or for Louis to get put at the training school. Louis had known for years that Harry wanted him to take up a position at the training school - regardless of whether they were caught out or not. But that was just Harry's protective streak shining through.  

Of course, Harry had never actually said anything aloud, that wasn't his style, but he often hinted at it being a good place for Louis to 'advance' to and made a point of mentioning any new position that became available there. But Louis wasn't ready to be a dog trainer; he loved working on the front line and didn't see why he should lose out just because Harry was afraid for his safety. Maybe in ten years time... yes he would seriously consider applying for a position at the school in ten years time but, for now, he loved his job and Harry's concern over his safety would not sway him whatsoever. After all, it wasn't like Louis didn't worry over Harry's safety too. Harry was frontline SWAT. Almost every mission put him in grave danger whereas Louis' didn't - he was often brought in after the situation was made stable to work the drug and bomb dogs. It was more than safe to say that Louis would be absolutely ecstatic if Harry ever decided to jack in the SWAT soldier for a desk job but he knew Harry wouldn't do that on his own free will. Harry loved being in SWAT, he lived and breathed the job and Louis would never ask him to 'give it up for him'. And anyway, even if, in the unlikely event, Harry would give it up because Louis asked him to, Louis knew Harry would eventually grow to resent him for it. Like Louis was sure he'd grow to resent Harry if Harry ever asked for him to give up the dog team. That was their silent understanding. They knew how much the other hated the other's job but they respected each other too much to actually say anything.