26. [Thomas]

"Mom, Dad, I'm home!" When I didn't hear their familiar voices, I stopped calling their names. "I guess they're still working."

I ran to the living room, only to see my aunt and uncle talking. When I heard them whispering to one another, the smile faded from my face. The last time I saw my parents whispering in secret, my dog was ran over. This time, it was no different. I could tell, something happened. Something bad.

"—we have to tell him," I heard my uncle's voice say.

I crouched down behind the wall that separated us and pressed my face against the surface. This time, their voices was a bit louder.

"Jake. We can't tell him. The boy is only ten."

Can't tell me what?

"—we can't hide this from him, forever. He's going to notice."

"Let him find out on his own then," my aunt said. "I don't have the heart to break it to him."

"Break what to me?"

Their voices stopped the moment they heard me. My eyes widened when I saw my uncle's tall figure hovering over mine. My aunt came next. She was holding onto my uncle's hand like her life depended on it.

"Thomas," my uncle was the first to speak. "Do you remember when Grandma passed away?"

I nodded. "Mom said she went to a better place." That was when I was five. Later, I found out that the 'better place' was heaven.

He lowered himself to my level. "Yes, your mom did said that." I blinked, when I saw the rim of his eyes red. Did he cried? "Your mom, Thomas . . . your mom left."

"Left? Where did she go?"

"She um, she went to visit Grandma."

I stared at my uncle like he grew a second head. "But Grandma isn't here anymore."

"I know."

That was all it took for his words to hit me. I shook my head. "You're joking, right? Mom would never leave Dad's side, she would never leave—"

"—she didn't, buddy. Your mom followed your dad. They both left to visit, Grandma." His voice came out low.

My face crumpled. "H-How?"

"What?"

"How?" I stared into their eyes. I refused to look away. Not even when I felt my lips trembling and my shoulders heaving with emotions. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. Not until I hear the rest of the story.

"Thomas, I don't think—"

"—tell me!"

They didn't say anything for a while. All they did was stare at me, and then at each other. Finally, they sighed as they looked back at me.

"Your parents," he began, "were heading back home this morning when a little girl ran past them. These guys were chasing after her, and your parents ended up hurt because they saw them. When the police and firefighters arrived, your parents already left to visit Grandma."

"The girl . . . who is she?"

"You already know who she is, buddy. She's that classmate of yours. The one who went missing a week ago."

My fists curled at my side. Isabella Ace.

It was her. She did this.

Because of Isabella, my parents ended up hurt. Because of Isabella, my parents are gone. Because of Isabella, my parents are dead. Because of Isabella, my little sister has to grow up without her parents. Because of Isabella, I won't be able to hear their voices again. Because of Isabella, my whole world was gone.