4. [Isabella]

I stood inside the closet for what seemed like forever, until I heard the door opening and closing. I was hoping Rachel had asked Jason to come, but I obviously couldn't look to see, no matter how much I wanted to. I took in a shaky breath, as I waited for the person to speak. 

"Isabella," a deep voice asked. 

"Yeah?" I didn't immediately recognize the voice, but it sounded vaguely familiar. Though, I couldn't put my finger on it. 

"Cool," he said with a hint of . . . pleasure in his voice? "To be honest, I was kind of hoping it was you."

"And why would that be?"

"Well . . . b-because I've always had a little crush on you," he said. 

"Wait . . . what?" He had a crush on me? Who was this guy?

"Yeah, do you—do you recognize my voice?"

"No," I said, as I shook my head. 

"It's me. Jason." I tilted my head. His voice was slightly deeper than I'd remembered, but maybe it was because he was talking softer? 

"Jason? Is it really you?" I felt my face warm as I started to blush.

"Yes, I've always had a crush on you," he admitted. Something in the way he said that was a bit odd, but I shrugged it off, guessing it was nerves.

I swallowed. "Really? I kind of . . . um, have a crush on you, too," I admitted as well. I couldn't believe it. The guy I had a crush on for years, actually liked me back? This couldn't be real. Things like this don't happen to girls like me. But it was happening, Jason actually said he liked me first.

"You do?" he asked, as I felt his hand on my cheek. 

"Yes, Jason . . . I-I-I really like you," I stuttered out, blushing deeper. Even though I was embarrassed as hell, I had to tell him my feelings. It's been long enough. 

"I'm glad, and I've always wanted to do this," he said, his voice getting softer with each word. 

"What?" I asked, my voice softening as well.

"This." I took in a short intake of air as I felt his breath near my face, and I was in heaven. Was I really going to kiss Jason tonight?  Time seemed to have stopped as I leaned in, but I didn't feel the softness of his lips that I longed to touch. Nor did I feel his hands on my face anymore. All I heard was the door opening and people laughing.

I quickly ripped off my blindfold, and saw a group of people laughing and pointing at me. I frantically took in everyone and spotted Amanda being constrained by two girls. My breathing was hard as she stared helplessly back at me. 

I then looked up to see that it wasn't Jason next to me, but Thomas. And he was laughing harder and louder than anyone else as he clutched his stomach. 

"Did you really think someone like Jason would actually be in interested in you?" he asked in between chuckles.

"I-I . . ." I tried to say something, anything, but then I saw Jason standing in the crowd. Thomas noticed him at the same time I did. 

He smirked, calling Jason's name. "Guess what, man? Isa-cow here, said that she likes you." 

"What?" Jason answered, glancing at me. He stood there, completely silent, his body rigid. 

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, Thomas pressed the button of something in his hand. Suddenly my voice filled the room, softly stuttering out, "Yes, Jason, I-I-I really like you."

Laughter filled the room again, while Jason just stood there, his cheeks red. 

I bit my lip and choked back a sob as laughter continued to fill my ears. I knew it. He didn't like me. I mean how could he? Obviously this was just another sick joke played on poor Isa-cow. I bet Rachel, Thomas, and everyone else at this party was in on it.

Disgusted, tired, and mortified, I finally couldn't stand their ridicule anymore. So, I ran. 

In the background I could hear Amanda's voice yelling at me to stop, but I didn't listen. I just kept going, managing to catch a taxi as I cried the entire way home.