Chapter 3

Warning: This chapter contains abuse and violence! 

==> Be Dirk Strider

You return home, spotting Bro's car in the driveway as you approach the apartment. You sigh, hoping to slip in unnoticed. Wasn't he supposed to stay late for work today?

You walk in, attempting to flash step to your room as soon as the door closes. Your cuts give in last moment, causing you to fall down, your body sprawled out in the middle of the hallway.

"Dirk?" You hear Bro's voice from the kitchen calling you. Shit.

You get up, sprinting to your room. It doesn't matter how much your cuts hurt right now. You just want to get to your room.

Bro flash steps in front of you, looking down at your frail form.

"Where are you going, little brother?" He snarls, and you can smell alcohol emanating from his breath.

"I was just trying to go to my room." You say bluntly, attempting to push past him.

Bro pushes you backward and you fall down, wincing from the impact.

"Bro, what the fu-" He kicks you in the stomach. Hard. You cough, your vision being dotted with black around the edges.

"I was fired from my job today. You know what that means, Dirk?" He takes off his shades, squatting down to be level with your eyes. You focus on his forehead, head spinning.

"Please, I haven't even completely healed from last time..." You cough again, looking at the blood that splatters from your mouth.

"Do you really think I care? Roof, now." He walks away, putting his shades back on. You lean backwards onto the floor, trying to get your breath back.

What have you done to deserve this?

Everything.

Bro has always reminded you of what a disgrace you were to him. You were gay, had a boyfriend, and were emotionally weak. He never respected you, not even for a moment. When your parents died and left him and Daniel with you and Dave, he stopped seeing you as family and more as extra baggage. Maybe Daniel and Dave always saw you that way too.

Not that it matters, anyways.

You've always known that, one day, you'll eventually die at the hands of your brother. He never lets you call him by his birth name anymore, which is David. He says it reminds him too much of Dave. As if you care about his feelings. You call him David behind his back, but have given up standing up for yourself.

You get up slowly, trying to regain your balance. You walk the rest of the distance to your room, taking your trusted katana from its stand on the wall.

Bro is waiting for you on the roof, polishing his own katana.
"You're late." He spits, standing up and discarding the cloth on the floor.

"I was trying to gain my breath back after you so kindly kicked me in the gut." You say, not losing your composure.

"I can do what I want to you. There's nothing you can do about it, anyways." He retorts, laughing darkly. He lunges at you from where he stands, flash stepping to your left side.

You throw out an elbow, hoping to gain some advantage. Of course, your efforts are all in vain, and he dodges it quickly. He slams his body weight into you, throwing you across the roof.

Your back slams into the door that leads to the descending stairs, and your head spins even more. Your shades had been jostled in the fall, making it so you could clearly see Bro as he walks towards you.

His face is filled with rage that you couldn't even begin to describe. You search him for some sign of emotion, but can't read his expression.

"Get up, Dirk!" He shouts, advancing towards you again. You stand up weakly, taking upon your fighting stance. It's quite weak, now that you think about it, but even a strong stance would amount to nothing against Bro. His strength and speed was far more advanced compared to your own.

He flash steps toward you again, and this time you don't even try anything. You welcome him with open arms, dropping your katana as he delivers a swift uppercut to your chin and a kick to your abdomen.

Stars swirl around you as you fall, already unconscious. You hear nothing but sirens in the distance and Bro walking away, whispering "Weak." back to you as he leaves.