Chapter 20

Lia waited up as long as she dared the night before, keeping an eye on Ben's house. She had gone over and knocked on the door. Then, on the off chance that he was ignoring her and sitting in the dark, she had used her key, but he hadn't been home. Silas told her he had sent Ben home, but he must have changed his mind along the way.

Now, after a long shift that had been made longer by worrisome thoughts, she was home, sitting in her kitchen, and trying to get up the courage to walk over to Ben's house and confront him. She called for Huck who ignored her, but when she said Ben's name he jumped up and raced to the door.

Ungrateful beast, she should just give him to Ben and be done with it.

Taking a deep breath, she attached Huck's leash and then opened the door. She could do this, he had been mad at her before and she had survived. She could survive this too. Part of her couldn't help but wonder what had changed to make her dread his anger so much. No, not anger, disappointment, she corrected herself. If she was honest that's what she was worried about the most. She was worried that he was disappointed in her.

She walked across to his house, noting a car she didn't recognize parked out front. Maybe she shouldn't go, now wasn't the time, but then again, he couldn't be really nasty to her if he had company.

Huck made up her mind for her and charged for the dog door, he was a smart dog about some things, but he still hadn't realized that Ben had nailed it shut, and he kept running head first into it in his attempt to get into Ben's house.

There was a resounding thunk, and Huck sat back on his haunches dazed, looking at the door in confusion. He was not happy, and he started to bark. He wanted Ben and he couldn't get to him.

"Hush Huck!" Lia scolded while trying to pull him around to the front door, but he wouldn't budge. "Come on you stupid dog, we'll go this way."

"Huck!" She heard behind her, and she spun around to see Ben standing on the porch watching them. He had come out the front door when he heard the commotion Huck was making. Lia guessed he knew who was making it.

Behind Ben was a beautiful blond, she was tall with perfect everything, including long legs that Lia immediately envied.

"Sorry, I didn't know you had guests," Lia said with a polite smile. "We'll just go and come back another time." She tried to pull Huck in the opposite direction, but he pulled back, charging Ben, and Lia couldn't stop as she careened into him. Ben's arms automatically came up and caught her before she fell, but Huck wasn't done. He was so happy to see Ben that he started to run in circles and wrapped the leash around her and Ben, cinching them tighter together.

"Let go of the leash Lia," Ben hissed as he felt her entire body flush against his.

Lia's eyes met his and she was lost. She didn't hear him and couldn't follow his directions as she heard a whooshing in her ears. It was as if she had just been struck by lightning, she loved this man with her entire being, that was why she cared what he thought so much.

He reached for her hand and pried the leash out of it without taking his eyes from hers. He unwound the leash and Huck started to dance once more as he was given more room to move.

"Huck!" Ben commanded, making Lia jump, breaking the spell.

She blinked, looking over Ben's shoulder at the beautiful woman who was watching them. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you had-"

"Guests," Ben finished for her, "so you said, but the car is out front, and I find it hard to believe that you didn't see it."

"I saw it," Lia said becoming angry at the way he was embarrassing her. "But maybe it belonged to the people across the street, how should I know where the person who owns it was visiting."