Chapter 10

They grabbed the table at the restaurant and sat, it was rare to be able to snag an outdoor table without having to wait at Clarey's, and it only took a moment for the waitress to greet them with menus, a bowl of water, and a few treats for Huck. She took their drink orders and retreated with a look at Ben. Lia wasn't sure if it was because of who he was or if it was because he looked particularly masculine with his tight t-shirt and beard.

Lia watched him as he stroked the beard on his chin while he looked over the menu.

"Is that why you grew it?" she asked.

"What? he asked absently as he turned over the to look at the options on the back.

"The beard?" she sipped her glass of sweet tea, watching him.

"My beard?" he asked, finally looking up with a frown.

"Yes, is it so that you have a way to direct extra energy while your working?" Lia mimicked his hand movement by stroking her chin. "It's kind of weird and probably unhygienic."

"So, it bothers you?" he smiled showing perfect white teeth, lifting his hand to stroke his chin once more. Then he pretended to pull something out and look at it before flicking it away.

"No, but I wonder what your outlet would be if you didn't have the beard?" she asked. "I bet you were one of those people who are always shaking their foot or leg," she said.

He shrugged. "One doesn't really pay attention to those things about themselves, do they?"

"I suppose not," Lia agreed, turning her attention back to her menu. "What are you going to have?"

"Waffles, with eggs and bacon." He put the menu down. "You?"

"Oatmeal."

"How boring," he teased.

"Ahh, but have you ever had the oatmeal here?" Lia asked. "It comes with cream, brown sugar, raisins, the works." She took a long sip of her tea closing her eyes as the coolness hit her throat. It was already hot outside. When she opened her eyes Ben was watching her, his expression unreadable.

"We should talk about this engagement thing," Lia suggested for something to say.

"Sure, go ahead," he leaned back with a grin as if he knew he had made her uncomfortable and he was amused by it.

"I'm glad I amuse you," she said.

"Me too," he agreed.

Lia rolled her eyes. "Now, about your moving in-"

"Ben is that you?" a beautiful blond with a very southern accent called as she approached their table from behind Lia.

Lia watched as Ben's entire demeanor changed, and he went from relaxed to tense, although it wasn't obvious. Lia noticed the way his hand clenched the fork next to his plate.

"Belle," he said, rising to give her cheek a kiss.

"Where have you been keeping yourself?" she asked, letting her eyes skim him, taking her time on his chest and arms. "We were talking about you the other day, saying how much we missed having you at our parties. You can always be counted on for a few good stories."

Ben gave a polite smile. "Belle, this is Lia," he introduced.

Belle looked over her shoulder, taking in Lia's jeans and t-shirt, before turning her attention back onto Ben. There was no greeting or smile.

Lia picked up her tea, wondering why Ben only introduced her as a friend.

She listened to the two talk about people they knew while she took her time looking over Belle's clothes. She was dressed very fancy for breakfast with friends, perhaps she had an appointment. She was wearing tight black pants with stiletto heels, a white silk shirt that was see through with a camisole underneath, and a large black handbag on her arm. Everything looked like it had cost a lot of money. Daddy's money no doubt.