Chapter 18

Lia sat at a table in the hospital cafeteria looking out the window at the thunderstorm. It was a doozy, and she jumped as a bolt of lightning split the sky and a loud boom shook the building. The storm fit her mood she thought as she sipped her coffee, trying to figure out what she should do.

She and Ben had spent the better part of the week avoiding each other, it was as if he regretted opening up to her about being lonely, and he had become grumpy Ben once again. He didn't take her out to dinner, but he had talked to her about moving in over the coming weekend. Brian had told him that they were going to start work on the electrical and plumbing the following week which meant that he would have neither. It had meant that he needed a place to stay.

Now it was Friday, and she still hadn't made up her mind about meeting Connor Butler that night. Should she or shouldn't she? To meet him would only encourage him, but if he really did have something on Trinity then maybe it was worth it to find out what it was because then she would have something concrete to take back to Ben.

She gave a deep sigh, she should probably stay out of it and ignore the situation, none of it had anything to do with her, and if she heard something that did implicate Trinity and she didn't go to the police, wouldn't that be aiding and abetting?

"That was a worrisome sigh, do you mind if I join you?" Dr. DeGraff asked from the other side of the table. Lia looked around and noted that most of the tables were full because of the storm, people who would have normally chosen something other than hospital food didn't want to risk the elements.

"Sure." She smiled over at him.

He sat unwrapping a sandwich and Lia watched his graceful hands. They were a surgeon's hands.

"Are you a surgeon?" she asked, scooping up a bite of her yogurt.

"Why do you ask?" He took the first bite of his sandwich.

"You have the hands for it." Lia shrugged, looking at the window. He wasn't a man who liked to talk about himself, so she shouldn't be insulted.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." He watched her as she turned her attention back towards him. "Yes, I am a trauma surgeon."

"You don't like to talk about yourself, do you?" she asked as she watched his even white teeth bite into the sandwich. He really was a handsome man, it was no wonder why all the nurses at the hospital had a crush on him. There were even a few who Lia had seen attempt to flirt with him, but they had had no luck. He wasn't interested. She couldn't help but wonder what kind of woman would interest him.

Lia noted a few people were watching them as they ate, it would be all over the hospital that they had lunch together. "You're lucky I'm an engaged woman because if it were otherwise everyone would think that we're having an affair."

He smiled at that, it was a polite smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Suppose you tell me what that sigh was about? It sounded like you need to talk." He changed the subject.

"So, it's alright to talk about my personal life but not yours?" Lia asked with a raised eyebrow.

"We don't have to, we can talk about the weather if you would prefer." He looked out the window as another bolt of lightning pierced the sky. "One thing you can be sure of is that if I'm unwilling to discuss myself, I'm also unwilling to discuss other people's lives with anyone but them."

Lia watched him, she did need a sounding board and he would be impartial.

His grey eyes were completely honest as they met her own.

"Are you aware of the rumors that surround Ben?" she asked.

"No."

"Then I shouldn't discuss this with you, it may change how you view Ben as a person."

"I've already made up my mind about Ben, and I'm generally right about people. I don't tend to base my feeling on rumors," he assured her.

It must be wonderful to be so confident as a person. Lia watched him eat as she considered what she wanted to tell him. It was public knowledge and, if he cared to know it, he could ask just about anyone, including Chloe and Faye.

"I'm not sure," Lia said, looking back out the window.

"Then let's discuss something else," he suggested with a smile "How long have you known Chloe and Miss Brantley?" he asked.

Lia shrugged. "Five, six years."

She sighed knowing she needed some advice and he was probably someone she could trust.

"Ben was accused of something horrible a few years ago," she said it as if against her will and Dr. DeGraff remained silent as he ate his sandwich. "I know he's not guilty, I never thought he was, but many people do." She leaned forward speaking softly. "I was approached by someone who said that they had proof that Ben was innocent, proof that his sister might have committed the crime. He said he wanted to tell me more, but I'm pretty sure he wants something in return. The only thing is I can't imagine what it could be."

"Have you talked to Miss Brantley or Chloe about this?" he asked.

"No, Chloe doesn't offer advice, she would agree that it was a tough choice, and Faye would tell me to go to Ben and tell him. I don't like either answer."

"So, you want me to give you another one? It sounds to me like you've already made your decision since only one other option remains." He wadded up his sandwich wrapper, reaching for his drink. "Just out of curiosity, why don't you go to Ben?"

"He would hurt the man, and then he would really be guilty of something." Lia shook her head knowing it to be true. Maybe she had made up her mind. "I keep thinking that if I can get him to tell me what he has on Ben's sister there might be a way I can help, at least warn her, and if not, at least I have something concrete to take to Ben."

Dr. DeGraff nodded, thinking it over as he looked at the window. "Would you like me to go with you?" he offered. It was so unexpected that her eyes opened wide and he gave a small smile at her surprise.

"I can escort you there, wait at the bar, and then take you home. At least it would be good to have someone there if things turned ugly."

Lia nodded. "That what be good, thank you. Are you sure you don't mind? I'm meeting him tonight at eight."

Dr. DeGraff smiled. "I don't mind."

"Meet me at Moon River at about a quarter till?"

Dr. De Graff nodded. Lia looked up and spotted Faye paying for her lunch and waved. Faye saw her and waved back, shooting Dr. DeGraff a quick look before moving in their direction.

"Hey, I only have a few minutes, so I have to eat quick," she said as she sat next to Lia.

Dr. DeGraff rose from his seat. "I too only had a few minutes. Miss Haven, Miss Brantley," he said before turning to leave.

"A quarter till eight at Moon River, you won't forget?" Lia asked as he stepped away.

"I'll be there," he assured her then walked away, his long stride making quick work of the cafeteria.

Faye got up and moved across from Lia, looking at her between bites of food.

"You look worried," she noted. "Anything I can help with?"

"No, Dr. DeGraff is going to help me," she said absentmindedly as she thought about the coming meeting. She hoped that it would turn out alright and that she wasn't getting in over her head.    

Love Me Sweet (Love Me book 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara