Chapter 15

Lia finished cleaning up Huck's pee and then put a chair in front of the dog door, it wouldn't do much to block an escape if Huck really wanted to make one, but it might be enough to deter him. Although he didn't look like he was interested in doing much of anything at the moment, at least not if she was judging by the sound of his snoring.

She left the kitchen and started her tour of the house. It was a four square with a center hall and a massive staircase that led to a landing at the top. The landing ran the circumference of the entry hall with four doors that led into four bedrooms. At the end of the hall, above the front door, there was another door that led out to a second story balcony that looked out over the square. It was a beautiful house, and its saving grace was that it was outdated. The fact that nothing had been done to fix it up meant that many of the original details remained. She heard voices in the parlor, which was to the left of the front door, and she moved in that direction. Ben and Brian were there, looking at the original architectural plans for the house.

"Where did you find those?" Lia asked as she joined them.

"They were in the safe in the semi-basement," Ben answered, looking over at her. His glance lasted a little longer than it needed to, and Lia would be a liar if she said it didn't thrill her just a little. Not that they were going to go down that road, she had already decided that a physical relationship would mess up their friendship, if that was even what they had.

"What else is down there," Lia asked, eager to go see for herself.

"Don't worry, you'll be in charge of cleaning it out, so you'll get to see everything." Ben smiled at her eagerness.

"I suggest we start with the roof," Brain said, butting into their conversation.

"Yes, Ben, the roof," Lia said with a totally serious expression.

"Then we should check your foundation and make sure it is secure. I'm sure it is since it appeared to be brick, but now is the time to fix any issues." Brian looked around the room seeing things in the structure that Lia and Ben couldn't

Lia took the time to look at the man, he was close to fifty, in prime shape, and with a head of silver hair. His eyes were a deep blue. He was a very handsome man, striking really. She looked at his hands as they ran across the plans and she noted a wedding ring. A man like him would probably be married to a beautiful woman.

"I don't see any settling, but I haven't seen the entire house," Brian said as he turned his attention back to the plans. "If you don't mind, I'd like to take a few minutes to look at the exterior before touring the interior."

"Sure, do you need a ladder for the roof?" Ben asked, obviously having been through it all before.

"No, I have one on the truck." Brian gave them both a smile of reassurance before he left them to have look around.

"Shouldn't one of us go with him?" Lia asked, watching him leave.

"No, we would only distract him, he likes to work alone," Ben explained, pushing away from the table.

"You've done this type of thing before?" She watched Ben as he moved towards the hallway.

"Yes, Illianna and I fixed up a house after we were married, Brian did the work for us." Ben's voice held no emotion, and she wondered if it brought back memories. Perhaps that was why he never wanted to fix up this house.

"Brian's wife is an interior designer; if you would like her to do that side of things he can arrange it." Ben gave a half-hearted smile.

"If this is going to bother you, we don't have to do it," Lia offered.