Eleven: Love

This wasn't necessarily proofread, so I apologized for any minor errors! After last chapter, I was practically braindead, so this chapter was really difficult to write since all that drama is done and over with! It took me a while to think of what to do, but I do hope you enjoy it regardless!

-------------------------------------

“So even when I was fat and chubby, you loved me in that way?” Mackenzie asked, referring back to when I confessed how that rejection letter was meant to prevent our friendship from falling apart, should our long-distance relationship fail and sever our ties with each other.

I giggled, “Of course. It wasn’t a matter of whether you were fat or lean. I love you the way you are.” His lips slanted unsurely. “What?”

“You didn’t even know that I was really Moxie, and yet you still fell for me.”

I shrugged. “I had a hunch, considering some of the hints you dropped; I just put it in the back of my mind under the impression of it being a coincidence.”

“Still…it’s like you fell for a different person…” he mumbled dismally.

Raising a brow and stifling a chuckle, I remarked, “So you were jealous of yourself? How silly…” His face reddened.

Mackenzie changed the subject, “I’m sorry for hurting you so much. Ever since I sent those cruel letters to you, I regretted it deeply.”

He already told me the whole story, and yet he continued to apologize like it was some grievous sin. I forgave him, “It is okay. In the end, we were able to mend what we lost—although unknowingly to me at first.”

“We can’t go back to the way things were though,” he noted dejectedly.

I shook my head. “Of course we can’t. Things change: you’ve changed, I’ve changed. The world is constantly changing, and we have to adapt to it. Nothing can stay constant forever. We knew that as soon as parted ways all those years ago.” A small smile crept on my lips as I mentioned, “It’s kind of funny though…how we both clung to the past deep down, and fate kind of led us to each other. It’s not like we didn’t try to move on…it’s just—the bond we shared was unbreakable.” He smiled back, boring his eyes into mine; savoring the peaceful moment we were sharing at long last.

We’ll take it slowly… Whenever you need someone, I’ll be here for you.

*

Morning came, the rays of the sun penetrating through the window and jade green curtains. I was tucked in my bed, and Mackenzie lied beside me over the blankets, fast asleep. The blankets and his arm enveloped me in warmth, and I could no longer suppress a smile.

Yesterday really wasn’t a dream, I confirmed. Mission accomplished.

I slowly and gently slipped out of bed to go and brush my teeth and cook breakfast. If I had remembered correctly from our childhood whenever his family would come over to my house to have meals together, Mackenzie always preferred an egg-bacon-sandwich, two eggs sunny-side up and two pieces of bacon packed in between two slices of toasted bread with butter. He was also the only person I knew who actually liked the “butt bread.”

But his tastes could’ve changed after all these ten years, I mulled over. Pressing my fingers against my temples, scrunching my forehead in concentration, I tried to remember what he would eat for lunch and compare it to when he was a child. All I saw were moon pies, star crunches, soda, and a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. My God… I didn’t like thinking this about Mackenzie, but I had to wonder: did he develop diabetes during childhood? Well, I don’t remember him wearing a medical bracelet or anything similar, so I think he’s fine…