Nine: Scars.

So this chapter started out easy to write, and then it got really difficult along the way, so if some scenes seem rushed to you, I apologize in advance!

All in all, I hope you enjoy yet another dramatic chapter of Searched. Found. Saved.!

FYI, for maximum feels, play the song that I put on the right. It's kind of a tribute to Mackenzie and his mom.

----------------------------------------

To hear such words from him, I had no idea how to react. Instead, I asked Mackenzie how it happened, which I later slapped myself mentally for being insensitive towards his feelings. I apologized, saying he didn’t have to answer me if it conjured up painful memories and emotions, but he shook his head.

Since the rain stopped, we headed to the school to dry off and clean ourselves from the rain and mud. Afterwards, we met up on the rooftop, overlooking the view of the campus from the railing. Mackenzie had calmed down and explained everything to me:

“My mom…she said she’d get off work early so I could meet up with you that night. It was at an intersection, and there was footage of what exactly happened. The light was red, but for some reason, my mom’s car didn’t stop. Rather, she was going full speed.” He opened his can of Coca-Cola from the vending machine before continuing. “Suddenly, as the trailer truck approached the intersection, my mom’s car swerved in its direction and hit him directly—head to head.”

Mackenzie took a swig of his Coke, heaved a mournful sigh, and wiped his brow. “The police said…” his voice trailed off, and I knew that anymore of this and Mackenzie would break down again. “T-They,” he was trembling and his voice shook wildly, “t-they said that w-what sh-she did was s-s-suicide…”

For a moment, I stopped breathing, my heart dropped to the pit of my stomach, and the ability to speak was gone. Mackenzie chugged down the rest of his Coke, crushed the can with one hand, turned away from the railing, and chucked it at the door, causing a loud clanking sound.

He slumped against the railing, brought his knees to his chest, and clutched his dirty blonde hair with his fingers. “I-It only makes sense… I-If only I paid more attention to the signs… After telling my mom my plans with you, she became hysterical—it didn’t show on the outside, but in her eyes…she was desperate… It was like she was pleading, ‘Don’t leave me.’” Mackenzie clutched himself even harder, trying to shield himself from the hurt. “I knew she was suffering from depression and yet I—I”—

Instinctively, I threw my arms around his trembling body, and felt him trying so hard to prevent himself from being crushed under the overwhelming sentiment. I shook my head violently, and apologized profusely, “No, it’s my fault… I didn’t know your mom was going through so much pain, and yet I was the one who asked you out…”

“But I was the one who agreed to it…” he pointed out dismally. “It’s my fault…even my stepdad blames me…”

Mackenzie emerged from his position and looked at me with those bruises and cuts on his face. I clasped my hands over my mouth and felt my own tears brim my eyes. No… “Your stepdad did this to you?”

He tried to smirk playfully at me, but his lips formed a thin line instead. Mackenzie took a deep breath, looked straight ahead at the door, and answered quietly, “He was much, much worse with my mom… In the beginning, he was a really great guy, and even I approved of him to her. But it all changed the week after their marriage. He showed his true colors.

“Harold Chambers. He’s possessive, a monster, a tyrant… Every damn day, he always had something negative to say to me. He beat me when I spoke. He beat me when I was too quiet. I was never good enough for him. Countless times he called me trash and someone who shouldn’t have been born.