Three: Facade.

The rest of our summer volunteering went by in a blur. Since the day Mackenzie and I first talked, we hadn’t had the opportunity to speak like before. He got busier with the patients and errands for other departments, and when he would drop by the ortho center, we’d only greet each other with “Hellos” and “Goodbyes.”

It bothered me like crazy, but I knew it was for the better. Just by hanging out with him for a few hours, he had already brought color into my monochrome world. I experienced a variety of feelings that I either a) have never experienced or b) haven’t felt in so many years. Already, in just those measly three to four hours, I was pulled into his world. Deep down, I wanted to get to know and understand him.

That same day, he told me he harbored feelings for someone else. So in that respect of not seeing him often anymore, I was relieved. I didn’t want to complicate anything, and I definitely didn’t want these small feelings that have already taken root to grow any more. The less time I have to interact with him, the easier it is to erase those one-sided, in-the-heat-of-the-moment feelings.

I’m mistaking friendship for romantic feelings, that’s all, I would think to myself over and over again whenever he’d occupy my thoughts despite knowing it was futile. I could deny it as many times as I wanted, but it still wouldn’t change anything.

The last day of the two of us volunteering together, we were able to have lunch together, and I asked, “So, how have things been going with the girl you liked?”

He took a sip of his water bottle and shrugged. “Not much has changed, really.” My head bobbed forward, and I deadpanned for a few seconds. “I just haven’t been able to get in contact with her recently. We’re both really busy this summer, so…”

Leaning back in my seat, I folded my arms across my chest and mumbled, “I see, well that sucks. After all this time, there hasn’t been any progress…”

“It’s not like I expected things to go smoothly and quickly. As a matter of fact, I just want to mend our relationship gradually.”

When my eyes met his, he held such fierce determination, and I remarked, “You must really treasure that girl, huh?”

Mackenzie nodded and replied, “Yes, I do.”

My chest ached for a second, and I changed the subject. “So…about school”—

“Why bring that up now?” he groaned.

I laughed nervously. “It’s just that, I want to be able to talk and hang out with you at school, but I feel like I might not recognize you since you keep a low profile. Do you wear a disguise or something?”

He raised a brow. “I just wear glasses, sweatshirts, and jeans. Plus, I have bed head, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a disguise.”

I see…so he just blends in with everyone else at school. I’m pretty sure that if he—

“Wait, so you’re wearing contacts right now?” I asked, surprised. I leaned in close to see the faint circle surrounding his iris. Upon realizing how much I closed the gap between us, I immediately jumped back to my seat.

Mackenzie appeared flustered as well with my sudden movements. “Y-Yeah,” he managed to get out. “I don’t really like wearing glasses though, since the bridge of my nose starts to hurt and it feels…uncomfortable. At the same time, I’m too lazy to put on my contacts so early in the morning before school. Putting on glasses is just easier.”

“What is your usual style in clothing?” I began to interrogate.

“Um…” he began, “button-up collared shirts, plain T-shirts, jeans, and khaki shorts?”