Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Buzz! Buzz!

Leila heard the vibration of her phone with only the awake half of her mind. It took her five minutes to realize what was going on and she quickly sat up, took a deep breath, and hurried to get to her phone.

"Hello?" She replied with a raspy voice, rubbing her eyes.

"Mrs. Gareth? I have been calling you for five minutes straight now. Where have you been?" Olivia, her boss, scolded on the other end, downing her mood.

"I have been asleep. It's holiday, Ma'am. It wasn't mentioned in my contract to be at work on holidays, too," Leila pointed out.

"Yes, but there is an emergency today. The children are going on a field trip and there's a lack of observers. You are, were required to be here fifteen minutes ago. You better hurry before I change my mind and cancel your contract." And with that, she hung up. Leila sighed and stared at the phone in her hand for a while, and then she placed it back on the bedside table and lay back down. She ruffled her messy hair and heaved another sigh. She wasn't fully awake yet and she absolutely had no energy to observe young kids wandering around the whole place. Then she remembered that she had no idea about the place they were going to. She rolled her eyes and pushed the duvet away. She swung her body lazily out of the bed and headed to the bathroom, her mind trying to recall the events of last night. She could remember the visiting, the talk about wine, and the necklace. Oh right, where the hell is the necklace?

She literally ran out of the bathroom and back to her room. She started wildly searching for the tiny piece of jewelry, pulling out drawers, opening shutters, unlocking doors, and even checking under her bed. She still couldn't find it and her heart started to speed up. She was worried beyond control and started to freak out. The only solution in her mind was David. He was the one to pick her up until here. He must be the one to know where that necklace is.

But what if he doesn't want you to have it? Her subconscious snapped at her, and she froze. What if he thought you weren't worthy enough of wearing it?

No, she shook her head. This can't be true. She refused to believe it. It must be somewhere and here and she will find it sooner or later.

Speaking of which, her subconscious arose again, you still have a due date to fulfill.

"Oh, shit," She muttered under her breath, slamming her hand against her forehead.

In approximately five minutes, Leila had her face washed, her teeth brushed, and her dresses worn. She fixed her scarf one last time in the mirror, then she picked up her hand bag and stormed out of the room, carefully shutting the door behind her to avoid waking David. She tiptoed to the staircase and was shocked of what she saw.

There, in all his morning glory, sat her husband on one step in the middle of the staircase, dressed in one of his usual pitch black suits, and was struggling to the laces of his shoes together. The view itself urged her to laugh, but she managed to control herself. She proceeded to descend the stairs, mumbling a polite "Hi!" when they crossed paths.

One, two, three.

"Hey, Leila!" She heard his call from behind and deliberately stopped on her tracks.

"Yep?" She asked, popping the P, while her body spinning around to face him.

"Where the hell are you heading to this early hour in the morning? It's eight in the morning, for Christ's sake," David questioned.

"Work," Leila simply replied and David gave her a flat look.

"On Saturday?" He asked matter-of-factly.