Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"There we are," Marissa announced once she stopped her car in front of a large three-story mansion. Leila's jaw dropped to the floor as she took in the sight in front of her.

She pointed her forefinger towards the modern designed building. "Is that...is that his?" She asked in pure shock. She had been notified before that David was rich; being the son of Gareth Co. owner, but no one had ever mentioned him to be ridiculously filthy rich.

"Yes, it is. Didn't he tell you about it before?" Marissa asked as she pulled out the key from the ignition of the car and slipping out into the front yard. Marissa mimicked her moves in anticipation, and soon enough she felt the cold refreshing breeze of air hitting her face, and threatening to blow away her scarf. The place was dark and all she could see was the silhouettes of the flowers in the garden, and from the distance she could see an outline of swing set. The sounds of snoring insects flooded through the deadly silence, and for a moment, Leila felt slightly scared.

She managed to walk past the garden and to the front door, followed by a shivering Marissa.

"Is there something else about David that you haven't mentioned to me?" Leila hissed whilst Marissa banged the old dragon-shaped knocker on the mahogany wooden double door.

"I guess not," Marissa responded, rubbing her palms together. That was one of the moments were Leila was thankful to be wearing Hijab. It was really cold out there.

"Except for one more thing," Marissa suddenly broke in as Leila turned her face in an attempt to inspect her surroundings. Her head quickly snapped at the words.

"What is that?" She curiously asked her, trying to sound less enthusiastic as possible.

Marissa looked down at her feet for a moment of silence, then her eyes shifted to lock gazes with an expecting Leila.

"Well," She started.

"Marissa, please. Don't infuriate me any further," Leila scolded, being pushed to the edge. Marissa knocked on the door thrice again, before turning to face her.

"Ok! I'll just say it in one breath," She replied, pausing for a second, waiting for Leila to interrupt, but when she didn't mouth a word, Marissa just blurted out. "David is a little more free than usual."

"Huh?!" Leila opened her mouth to question, but at the same moment the door swung open and behind it stood an old man with messy grey hair and thick brows, sweat covering most of his face. He was wearing ripped shaggy clothes, and in one of his hands lay what looked like a bottle of wine, or beer. She would never know what that liquid was. Lack of experience, you know.

"MARIE!" The old man exclaimed in a rough voice, and with one swift move, he engulfed Marissa in one bone-breaking hug.

Marissa just awkwardly stood there, again, cursing the day she actually agreed to this one-sided marriage.

"How are you doing, darling? I haven't seen you in ages. Come in. Come in," The old man said and backed away from Marissa. He stepped aside and entered the house again, leaving some space for her to get in. She obliged immediately, gesturing for Leila to follow her. Leila silently did.

The first thing she noticed when she stepped in was the loud banging on the walls and her heart started vibrating. What had sounded at first like a house-wrecking bomb turned out to be an inhumanly loud DJ speaker, screaming at the top of its drums. Leila stood there stunned, letting the door get slammed closed by the cold air. What appeared in front of her was far beyond her imagination. Far beyond imagination itself.