Chapter 61

Eliza climbs onto Captain's back, the early morning air carries a winter chill. All her trunks have been packed into a cart that is being pulled by a beautiful cart horse with a plaited mane. Jasper hands her a woollen scarf as he takes the reins of his horse.

"It's cold." He states bluntly when she looks questioningly at the checked tartan scarf and then at him. She wraps it around her neck and flips the ends over her shoulder. On top of his horse, Jasper checks his girth and straightens his hat.

"You'll visit soon?" Benjamin asks Eliza.

"Of course, and we shall see you tonight at the ball," She reassures, she squeezes her uncle's hand, tears glisten in his eyes but he nods and lets go of her hand. The horse's hooves crunch on the gravel, the creak of the wheels of the cart starts a few moments later as they leave Ryddan's land. The journey to Chester Valley is uneventful, Jasper is in a mood, he has been ever since early in the morning when his mother and sister said goodbye. Eliza decides that her efforts to talk, after a few failed attempts in which he just grunts back, are not worth her hassle. She listens to the crunch and creaking of the cart behind them.

After ten minutes of her own thoughts, Jasper turns to her.

"We are here."

"I don't recognise it," Eliza says looking around. The neat hedgerows line a small stone driveway that leads up to a cream stone house with towering pillars that support an ornate stone roof. Ivy slinks around the pillars and flowers bloom in the vibrant green vines. The door has been polished black with a shiny golden knocker, the windows in the house are all framed by matching cream and golden curtains.

"It looks incredible," Eliza says as she climbs down and approaches the house.

"There's a stable around the back as well as a greenhouse and conservatory," Jasper says also climbing down.

"I cannot believe this." She says leading Captain behind her, the door to this house opens and a butler steps outside.

"My lord duke and duchess." He says walking down the steps to greet them.

"Hargreaves." Jasper shakes his hand.

"Hello." Eliza says.

"My lady." Hargreaves accepts her hand and kisses it lightly. "May I take your horses to the stable?"

"Thank you." Eliza and Jasper both hand him their reins. Eliza smiles brightly at him, still shocked at the transformation of the front of the house.

"Do you want to take a look inside?" Jasper offers her his arm, she accepts and they walk up the steps into the house.

The hallway has been cleaned thoroughly, the chandeliers are no longer covered in dust and the portraits have been removed and replaced with paintings of the countryside. The wooden floor gleams and several detailed rugs have been added.

"It looks so different." Eliza comments, she looks inside at the dining room, the oak table is still there but it has been laid with a white tablecloth and set with silver. The window sills have been decorated with vases of flowers and china ornaments. The cabernets are the same as before, full of liquors and wine but the wooden structures have been cleaned and polished. The room is light and airy, the wallpaper has been stripped away and painted white, brand new gold fixtures hang on the walls supporting candles and lamps.

"I have to admit that it was Luis who organised everything," Jasper says as he studies her expression.

"It's amazing," Eliza says as she leaves the dining room and wanders down the hall. Jasper walks a few steps behind her as she takes in the new furniture and decorations.