Chapter 29

In a matter of propriety, Elizabeth De Roch finds that no matter how much you wish to express your opinion in most cases it is better to bear your silence contently than to speak as you find. In concern of her niece, however, the rules of society seem to become nought as the outspoken Eliza never holds her tongue, only infuriates and embarrasses those she goes up against in a war of words. Elizabeth herself has to admire the confidence, though not out loud, of course, she could forgive her niece's many shortcomings if only she could be on time for breakfast. She looks at her watch and sighs, 5 minutes is forgivable, 10 is pushing it but 25 is ridiculous. At half past 8 Eliza skids into the dining room, dress on and hair tied up, she quickly sits at the allotted place opposite and offers an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, I overslept."

"That is quite evident." She replies in a clipped tone, she shakes the little silver bell.

Mathews walks into the room carrying a tray laden with tea, maids scuttle in behind him holding a plate full of bread, cold meats and sweet buns. The food is placed on the lace tablecloth and the servants leave. Everything smells wonderful and look fresh from the oven. In her place there is a small plate with many knives and forks, all set out neatly.

Eliza reaches to grab a brioche topped with ice sugar but her aunt slaps her hand away, she pulls her hand away in shame.

"We must say grace, gluttony is a sin after all." Elizabeth reprimands placing her hands together in prayer after a pointed glare Eliza does the same.

"In the sight of God, may you bless this meal and offer my niece some advice on how to be on time."

Eliza rolls her eyes, of course, her aunt would turn a prayer to god into a type of lecture.

"Amen."

"Amen."

Eliza takes the bun and uses a heavy silver knife to butter the rich dough. The silence weighs in the air as the two women eat. Lady Elizabeth shoots a few looks towards her a few times but she doesn't voice what she is thinking.

"Tea?" Eliza offers taking hold of the teapot and standing up to pour it, her aunt nods and pushes her teacup and saucer forward. The stream of tea flows into the cup effortlessly much to Eliza's delight, a spillage would not set the morning off right. Elizabeth adds cream and sugar and mixes it with a little spoon. Eliza's own tea is left black and the rich tea leaves settle her stomach.

"Do you have any plans today?" She asks eating her breakfast slowly. The warm bread is a delight.

"I believe your mishaps must become my number one priority. " Her aunt answers pointedly, "Resolve this mess you find yourself in."

"There is no need, Uncle Benjamin can help me..." Eliza protests.

"If that boy is of any use he would of already of helped you."

"He is a good guardian." She defends. "He looks out for me."

Elizabeth snorts but doesn't comment, she continues to eat her food with grace, now and then sniffing.

"After breakfast, we shall take the carriage to Ryddan manor." She decides suddenly, Eliza looks up in alarm.

"You don't have to come, you've been more than kind enough already." She tries to dissuade.

"No." Elizabeth insists, "I can see that the lack of my influence on your life has disadvantaged you greatly." She reaches for the bell by her plate and rings it twice. Mathews appears as though he the ring of the bell summons him.

"Please pull the carriage around at once, we are leaving presently."

"Of course ma'am." Mathews bows and leaves.

Elizabeth stands and leans on her cane, "Make haste child, you can borrow a coat from me."

Eliza drops her half-eaten food and hurriedly follows her aunt from the room. In the hall, Mathews helps his mistress with her fur-collared coat and bonnet. He hands Eliza a pale green coat with matching frilly bonnet. Reluctantly she pulls on the coat and fastens the bonnet over her hair and under her chin.

"The carriage is outside ma'am." He says opening the door to the street, the sun is shining even early in the morning.

"Thank you, Mathews, I shan't expect to be returning till tea," Elizabeth says shuffling out the door and down to the carriage where a footman helps her in, Eliza moves to follow but he throws an arm out to stop her.

"Miss Eliza," He begins, "I want to apologise for my words towards you on our first meeting."

"Oh, it is of no matter." She tries to pass but he stops her again, his face pink with upset.

"Your great aunt speaks of you most often and I want there to be no animosity between us." He says his head bowed in respect. Eliza feels the genuine regret in his words.

"Mathews I do not blame you for being wary of me, a wild girl on the street of London is not to be taken in lightly." She reassures, "I am glad my aunt is being looked after so well."

Mathews blushes at the compliment, "Thank you, Miss."

"We must not dally." Elizabeth calls impatiently from the carriage, "It is time to go."

Eliza smiles her goodbye at Mathews and joins her aunt on the soft seat in the carriage.

"Right on." The old lady orders resting backwards. "Now tell me, what caused such rash actions?"

Eliza grimaces inside, time to talk about it, get it all out, she takes a big breath of air and begins to rant.

"He said that even an association with me is of embarrassment, of course, this wouldn't normally offend me I know what people say about me but I thought or rather hoped that upon the time we spent together his opinion would improve but it is evident that that is not the case."

Elizabeth frowns thoughtfully.

"When he was shot, I was out of my mind with worry, my own opinion of his character had improved and I thought the same of him."

Eliza feels relieved saying it all out loud, it made her actions, in her mind, seem more justified. Her aunt listened intently to what she was saying and now it is her turn to talk.

"My dear, you are indeed unconventional, a little blunt, rude, unfit for society," Elizabeth begins, "But you have a spark that shines brighter than being able to make a good marriage or play the pianoforte. You are independent and confident, I am not surprised if Harrington is intimated by you."

"But I thought you disapproved..." Eliza says slowly, shocked.

"Oh I say that, but in truth, the reason I never married is that I was like you, never wanting to be put in the cage of marriage, you are more outspoken than I but there are indeed reasons why you were named after me."

"So you understand?"

"I do, to an extent, your actions maybe have been slightly exaggerated but I sympathise."

"I don't know how I am to explain last night," Eliza confesses. "Uncle Benjamin is going to be furious."

"Let me handle him." Elizabeth says, "That boy is always in need of a pamper."

The carriage jostles down the lane towards the manor, Eliza watches the familiar greenery roll by, the trees, the garden, the hedges. The carriage does a circle around the fountain and stops in front of the house, the footman jumps down and opens the door, Lady Elizabeth takes his hand and steps down, she wrinkles her nose at the house. Eliza follows and stands next to her.

"Take my arm dear," Her aunt says holding up her arm to her, she takes it and leads her up the stairs to the door. Her aunt raises her stick and bangs the head on the wood in four sharp wraps.