Chapter 59

The next day Jasper and Eliza wave goodbye to Charlotte and Thomas as they leave their house and travel to Ryddan Manor. Jasper insisted on waiting till the middle of the afternoon so he, Benjamin and Thomas could have a serious discussion about an upcoming business venture in Europe. Eliza and Charlotte were extremely uninterested so they spent a nice time in the library picking out possible baby names from notable works of literature. By the time they had finished, Charlotte held a long list of name. 

They say their goodbyes in front of the carriage, Charlotte cries softly as Eliza, Jasper and Benjamin trundle away but Thomas hugs her with one arm and distracts her by asking about Eliza's and she's list of baby names so she cheers up quickly. 

 Eliza settles comfortably into the soft seats of Jasper's carriage, she feels a sense of normality after the stressful months she and her family and friends had endured. Benjamin opens the newspaper and begins to mutter to himself. Her fingers drum on the book she is holding. Jasper looks over and moves her fingers to see the title. 

"Romeo and Juliet?" He asks with a lilting tone. 

"What?" Eliza says defensively, she tucks the book under her arm. 

"I find it a bit unrealistic." He says, turning his nose up, his wife narrows her eyes. 

"Why is that? Because they kill themselves?"

"Partly." He replies, "They found themselves so absolutely in love with each other that they killed themselves because the thought of living without each other was incoherent. However, I think that if they had survived, despite all the family differences, they would have discovered that they weren't as nearly as in love with each other than thought. They didn't know the basics about each other and yet they sought themselves "in love." 

"Do you not find their love both inspiring and hopelessly and tragic?" Eliza asks. 

"I find it unrealistic and preposterous." 

"That is because you are a cynic," She says opening her book. 

"And you aren't?" He asks stealing the book out of her hands, he glances down the page and wrinkles his nose. "You never dreamt of true love in an instant or happy marriage, you made that clear the second time we met, you are twice the cynic I am." 

"Oh really? Then for two cynics, I think we did rather well in the love side of life." Eliza says pinching the book back. Jasper grunts and looks out of the window, she smiles and begins to read. 

The carriage stops in front of the house fifteen minutes later, Eliza steps out of the carriage holding onto Jasper's hand. 

"Eliza!" Penny sprints out of the front door, her mother calls something about slowing down but it falls on deaf ears. 

"Hello." Eliza laughs as Penny wraps both her waist and squeezes. Helen reaches the party, she embraces Benjamin and turns to her son. 

"Jasper." She kisses both his cheeks and pats his face comfortingly. Penny lets go of Eliza or rather Eliza prizes herself away. Penny waves hi at Benjamin and then proceeds to cling to Jasper's legs. 

"Brother." She cries. 

"Eliza." Helen moves to her, hugs her, kissing her cheek. "It is delightful to see you." 

"You too." Eliza smiles

"Let go," Jasper grumbles, trying to dislodge his little sister. Penny does, after a strict glare from her mother, let go and takes Eliza's hand. 

"Come inside, have a cup of tea." Helen gushes, her fluttering hands pushing everyone towards the house. 

"Race you?" Penny asks.