Chapter 25

Back in the shop, Eliza sits down next to Charlotte. Helen leans forward and places a hand on her arm. No one has appeared since they left.

"Are you alright?" She asks concerned.

"Just some wedding jitters," Eliza answers confidently.

"Happens to the best of us," Helen says passing her back her abandoned cup of tea, she accepts and takes a sip of the strong herbal concoction. The back door opens and a middle-aged lady with sandy hair and a kind face waddles towards them. They all stand as she approaches.

"Madame Olive, a pleasure as always." Charlotte inclines her head to the dressmaker.

"Lady Charlotte, a delight to see you again." Madame Olive bobs a curtsy. "How may I be of assistance?"

"I am to be married this Saturday as is my best friend Eliza Turner." Charlotte seizes Eliza's arm and pulls her forward. "And we are in need of two wedding gowns."

"Congratulations to you both," The lady says.

"As well as an entire wardrobe for Eliza as she is to become a Duchess," Charlotte adds.

"I see." Madame Olive gives Eliza a flustered one over.

"Money is of no object," Eliza says, trying to be helpful.

"Splendid." Madame Olive claps her hands. "Girls!"

Three young women flank her, holding tape measures, lace and pins. They smile brightly at the group, they all wear identical pale pink uniforms.

"I need a pink dress for the wedding and a new pink one too." Penny pipes up.

"Do you now?" Madame kneels down and smiles at the excited child. "Joan, take the pretty girl here and find her the perfect dress."

One of the girls leads Penny to a corner of the shop that contains almost every shade of pink. Madame Olive turns to the first girl.

"Lady Eliza here is in need of a full wardrobe." The girl smiles and nods in understanding.

"Lady Charlotte if I could show you the dress we have?"Madame Olive asks extending an arm to a rack of white, cream and ivory dresses. Charlotte follows her to the dresses and they begin to discuss designs and colours.

"Miss?" The girl speaks, "How many dresses are we wanting for your wardrobe?"

"Oh, I..." Eliza is stumped at the question, luckily Helen answers for her.

"8-day dresses, four evening dresses and one riding habit."

"That's a lot." Eliza comments overwhelmed, who needs that many new items of clothing.

"Not at all, we can easily find you 8 materials you like, then pick a few styles and accessories, do your measurements and then you have your day dresses sorted." The girl informs them leading them to a rack of different materials.

"What's your name?" Eliza asks the press assistant.

"Willow, miss." The girl replies surprised.

"Willow, could you please pick 10 materials that are your favourite and that you think are suitable for a duchess and we can go from there?" Eliza asks.

"Of course miss," Willow says looking slightly flummoxed but leaves her standing with Helen.

"Don't you want to pick your own dresses?" Helen asks running a hand over bright pink silk.

"She will have more of an idea than I," Eliza explains pulling yellow chiffon out of its place and feeling the thickness.

"No." Helen pushes the fabric back into place. "That would look awful with your light skin tone."