Chapter one

"Who's a good boy then?" Said the Doctor in his best dog friendly tone. the white retriever type dog sat in a pile of hay  that was heaped in the corner of the barn the TARDIS had landed in. He looked up at the Timelord with a glance that showed he had no intention of giving up his new chew toy. Unfortunately, the new chew toy was the sonic screwdriver.

The Timelord flinched with every crunch the dog's teeth made. "I really have the worst luck with animals" he muttered to himself " If it isn't cats dressed as nuns,or rhino space police or werewolves........A-HA!!" from one of the seemingly bottomless pockets of his coat he produced a handful of boneshaped biscuits and grinned.

 He squatted at arms length in the front of the chewing dog and offered one of the treats "Here you go, fella. This'll taste much better than my old screwdriver, surely?" The Dog lifted his head, snorted at the time traveller and resumed chewing at the sonic.

"Awww, no- no don't. Don't do that" the Doctor groaned. "are you sure you don't want one of these biccies?" he took a bite " See? they're yummy" he chewed then grimaced "No they're not, they are absolutely FOUL" he spat the biscuit out making sounds of disgust when the dog dropped the sonic and knocked him on his back yipping playfully and licking his face. "Oi, steady !" laughed the Doctor trying to ward off the dogs exuberant licks.

Finally the, the dog stopped. Distracted by something, he bolted out of the barn, leaving a shell shocked Time lord laying on the barn floor.

Getting to his feet he brushed strands of hay from his coat. he saw the sonic  where the dog had dropped it and grabbed it . he pulled a face and picked  bits of drool soaked hay off the device which was now dented.

Then he froze as he felt something metallic jab him between the shoulders. A gun "now there's a shock " he thought sarcastically. Slowly he raised his hands ."It's okay, i'm unarmed. i mean no harm " He waggled his fingers to show this.

"Well i'm glad to hear it son" Said Jonathan Kent. "Now. Who are you, and what the hell are you doing in my barn?"

 The Doctor turned slowly, hands still raised "Hello!" he smiled "I'm the Doctor" he studied the elderly man's kindly face and the determination in his blue eyes. "I'm actually passing through - " He froze mid-sentence, his mouth went dry as he saw it falling from the sky: a Dalek screaming as it got closer "EXTERMINAAAATE!!"

Acting with a speed that surprised him he grabbed Mr Kent's rifle "God i hate guns" he said as he loosed both chambers at the thing. the bullets didn't even scrape the dalek's shell . Grabbing the old mans arm he yelled "Move" and dragged the man into the TARDIS. Slamming the door shut trying to block out the aliens screams "YOU. ARE. AN .ENEMY . OF THE DALEKS!!".

"OH MY" gasped Jonathan Kent as he steadied himself against a handrail. "Right!" snapped the Doctor "Pay attention, Mr Kent ! This is my ship, the Tardis , yes it's bigger on the inside and you're wondering 'how does he get all this in such a little blue box?"

Outside, The Dalek continued to blast the Tardis doors, barely scarring the woodwork. "COME. OUT. AND .FACE. YOUR SUPERIOR! FACE. MEEEE!!". It was so engrossed in it's task it didn't notice the white shape slowly drop out of the sky behind it and begin to growl.

Inside the TARDIS, Jonathan Kent  was talking to the Doctor , who had been explaining the hows and whys of his being in the barn of the Kent farm.

"So let me get this right- You, are a Time King from Galway?"

"No, A Time LORD. From The Planet Gallifrey" The Doctor corrected him.

"OH, A TIME LORD. Nothing pompous about that then!" The Doctor frowned "Oi" he protested, flipping switches on the console , trying to block out the screaming Dalek and the painful memories it represented. Then he heard barking . "Oh no, your dog. Mr Kent, i am sorry i am so sorry"

Jonathan Hushed him and said with a smile. "I wouldn't worry too much about Krypto, son "

Outside the sounds began to change. "HELP. MEEEE." Wailed the Dalek "PLEEEEAAASE. pleeeeeeeaaaase" Growling and barking drowned out it's cries ."My weapons systems are compromiseeeeed"

The Doctor unlocked the Tardis door and opened it " I hope you're right, Mr Kent i really- OH."

The Doctor stood slack jawed in disbelief. The Dalek was on it's side, a gaping hole in it's armour. The dome had a crack down one side, it's eyestalk bent  and wires protruding where the eye used to be. Draped over the creatures damaged shell, chewing on a gunstick, was the Kent dog, Krypto.

"Oh you brilliant, brilliant dog" smiled The doctor clapping his hands.

"Heeelllp meeeee" whimpered the Dalek. "OH SHUT UP" snapped the time lord as he kicked the creature. Ruffling the dogs ears he smiled "you reeeeally are the best dog EVER (but don't tell K9)" the dog continued chewing the now unrecognisable weapon and wagged his tail.

There was brief burst of wind and a red and blue blur. Just enough to make the Dog and Time lord look up.

"Would somebody care to tell me what the hell happened HERE?"

It was The Man of Steel.