Lucky

Chapter 12

Several stores later, they came across a late night cafe that was open. There was a neon sign that read Open Mic Night.

Natalie and Devon exchanged a why not? glance and pushed the door open. Walking through the moderate crowd, no one seemed to really care that they were dripping drops of water onto the ground.

The two of them settled themselves down at a table at the back. The cafe had a cozy, late night atmopshere to it. There was a preppy looking girl at the front, crooning a ballad while strumming softly on her guitar. Everyone was either chatting quietly, on a laptop, or silently listening while sipping their coffees.

"Want some coffee?" Devon asked.

"Sure. I want a--."

"Don't worry about it." He said before rising from his seat and going to the counter to order.

Natalie was left slightly confused but she shrugged, and watched the preppy girl finish her song. She clapped quietly along with all the other people in the cafe. Next up came a guy who was reciting some poetry he had written. Natalie loved the artistic air in the shop. It had been some time since she'd came to a cafe like this.

Devon came back with two mugs. He set them down and sat across from her. He pushed one of the cups over to her.

"Try it." He told her.

Natalie gave him a suspicious look. He watched her as she took a sip of the cream topped coffee. A smile spread on her face as the old forgotten taste of raspberry and chocolate filled her mouth.

"Raspberry white chocolate frap." She said grinning at him. "Did you get an almond and vanilla frap?" He nodded in confirmation. Back when they'd hung out, these had been their celebratory drinks after a special occasion.

"What's the occasion?" Natalie asked while taking a big mouthful of her delicious frappuccino.

Devon shrugged in response, taking a nonchalant sip. Then he looked at her very intently, his bright, deep blue eyes smouldering.

"What?" Natalie asked, uncomfortable under his stare.

He smirked at her. Then brushed his finger on the tip of her nose. Her breath caught, what was he doing?

"You have whipped cream on your nose." He said with a smirk, showing her his cream covered finger.

"Oh. Thanks." Natalie hurriedly took a napkin and wiped her nose with it, her face burning.

When she raised her eyes to meet his again, he was still watching her. His eyes seemed thoughtful and maybe almost sad. But she must've been imagining that. She held his gaze, pondering over what might be running through his head.

"You know you're--." Devon started, his voice sounding husky and deep. He cleared his throat before speaking again.

"You know I would've brought my guitar if I had known." He said normally, nodding his head at the stage. He sat back and began watching the current person performing, breaking the spell between them. Natalie frowned, noticing that he changed his words. She wondered what he had been about to say.

Following his example, she decided to act usually.

"You should go up there. I'm sure they have an extra guitar or something. They always do." Natalie suggested.

Devon seemed to think this over for a minute. Then he stood up and walked to the counter, where the emcee was standing. Natalie watched the two of them talk earnestly for a few minutes. Devon came back, smiling.