Uyai (twenty-eight)

A week had gone by and Uyai and the other girls had undergone series of training that seemed to be unending and Uyai was worked harder than others. Mrs. Chance felt that as a novice in the modeling industry she had to be thoroughly drilled in the field. Sometimes Uyai thought she was in a war field preparing for battle. The girls had insinuated in clear terms that it was indeed a battle of beauty and wits; they had prepared gadget consisting of different brands of cosmetic kits supplied by Mrs. Ekpenyong. Their costumes were exquisitely designed by Mrs. Chance and her apprentices who were as good as she was. All these preparation was geared towards the beauty contest that'll ultimately decide their fate in the modeling Industry.

"Newbie is beginning to get the hang of this." Miss Fiona commented as she played with the camera that hung about her neck.

"She is isn't she?" Catherine stole a glance at Uyai who was wearing another of Mrs. Chance's designs and was now cat walking on the makeshift runway, a piqued look crossed her face for a second but then disappeared as if it wasn't there in the first place.

"Yeah, her movements are becoming flawless, her stance are less stiff and more sophisticated and dare I say seductive. I'm impressed. Who knew that her transformation would be mind blowing." Miss. Fiona continued not minding that the other models were beginning to let loose a frown by her words.

"I'll have to agree with you on that. Who would've thought." Presh couldn't help but concur having noticed the newbie's accelerating rate of progress.

"And here I was saying she doesn't have a chance. I take back those words, she does." Raina smirked as she watched the subject of their discussion strut on the miniature stage. "You know what? I need to talk with Mrs. Chance." Raina said her eyes glinted with determination.

"About what?" Catherine eyed her suspiciously.

"You'll find out." Raina replied curtly and distantly that it made the Catherine narrow her eyes as she tried to gauge her expression, but she couldn't, Raina had already walked out and was headed towards Mrs. Chance who was in deep conversation with a dance choreographer Mr. Krizzi who together with a theatrical troupe had come to use Mrs. Chance fashion studio equipments for a photo shoot.

"Really? I still don't think she has a chance and mind you her movements are so not flawless." Isabelle scoffed and flicked behind the strands of her Brazilian wig in contempt as she responded to the praise Miss. Fiona's had given to Uyai.

"I beg to differ, look." Miss. Fiona pointed out with an amused smile to the audience their subject had attracted.

Uyai continued walking with a seductive sway to her hips oblivious to the attention she seemed to be getting from models alike, and other occupants of the studio including two familiar gorgeous guys who were noticeably vying for her attention.

"I'll go take a look. This must be interesting." Presh murmured and also strode off.

"Are you coming?" Miss. Fiona turned to the other two; Catherine and Isabelle. The look she saw on Isabelle's face was expected but not the dark expression Catherine wore. It was frightening and goodness! Gave her the chills.

As much as Isabelle and Catherine detested the attention newbie seemed to be getting, still it didn't hinder their limbs from moving towards the direction of the growing crowd.

The sound of music had increased, vibrating the padded walls, chatters had reduced to whispers and murmurs. Eyes were more attentive as they followed the movement of the beautiful lady who was looking like the next Miss. World give the runway a beauty of it's own as her hips swayed to the beats of the song. She was no longer strutting but dancing soulfully to the background music so enraptured that she was indeed oblivious to the crowd that had formed. Her eyes were both closed lost in the music.