Uyai (twenty-three)

They were in Tinapa, a tourist site. A large span of area with lots of attraction centres ranging from their large shopping malls,  gaming areas, swimming pool with all the fun and more so scary slides and the finally the small stream that led to a river. It was good for a boat tour, Catherine had said and apparently also a suitable spot for a photoshoot and for Uyai's training.

Exactly what she said. Training.

They had driven there with all their studio equipment. Miss Philomena had brought her camera, and their costumes, the ones Mrs. Chance had designed.

Right now they were in large open space and thankfully away from the crowd and other Homo sapiens especially  knowing who she was , she would  feel humiliated.

Who said being a model was a walk in a park, well perhaps sometimes when you had to walk in a park literally for a photoshoot. Okay in simple English, being a model was not as easy as it seemed. Well if you think changing different clothes in the span of one minute was a feat, what would you say about walking on pointy death traps called heels with a bunch of thick heavy books placed on your head, while walking in a straight line on a lawn to your death. Yes. Death that's what she called it. However they called it a training ground, and that was where she was going to insert the 'scoff '. How does carrying heavy books on your head and walking on heels be considered as learning to walk or cat walk like they said. Well she might as well just dog walk without fear of falling and breaking her heels or worse lose both her legs.

It might as well be military training.

Uyai couldn't count the amount of time she had wobbled and fallen and had to stand up again only to repeat the same thing. When she had finally perfected the walk, at least that's what she thought only for her to hear the humorous remark from Mrs. Chance

"Finally you can walk in a straight line, but, You're walking like a stick, too too stiff."

Uyai just needed the permission to groan loudly and she was sure the whole ground would shake.

"Really?" She asked with gritted teeth. The thick books still sat comfortably on her head and her feet were still trapped in the deadly straps. Salty drops escaped the pores on her skin to trail down the sides of face reminding her that the bright beams of the sun was casted heavily on her form. It would have been better if it was the morning sun, at least she knew she was getting vitamin D, but this was a hot afternoon, with the sun roasting her dry while the others including her new mentor aka Mrs. Chance stood under fancy umbrellas leaving her to suffer the heat alone.

"Mrs. Chance, I still don't understand why you would need another model much less someone so naïve in the field. Are you that desperate? Or aren't we enough?"

It was at this point Uyai would like to introduce you to a very beautiful female, yes a model too who was more arrogant than anyone she'd had ever met. Meet Isabelle the lady who never knew what it meant to filter words before they proceeded out of her mouth.

"Shh..." Catherine hushed her.

"What? It's only a question. No offense Mrs. Chance"

"A question you happen to make sound like an insult. Seriously you need to quit it." Precious aka Presh looked up from her phone and said still sounding as bored as ever.

"She's my manager so I can speak with her however I want." Isabelle retorted, her umbrella still over head.

Uyai balanced the books well on her head and folded her arms. Carrying the books on her head reminded her of fetching water back home and she didn't miss it one bit. Thank goodness Mr and Mrs. Ekpenyong had a bore hole that supplied water to the entire house, so there was enough water to last a lifetime.