Uyai (five)

"Shh..." Uyai ordered the young man whose name she came to know as Edem, as they tiptoed to where Affiong sat braiding her hair. "You need to cease shuffling your feet and quit breathing so loudly would you?" she admonished him and immediately he pursed his lips into a tight grim.
Quickly, they hid behind a concealing palm tree, she looked at Edem pointedly and signaled him with a flick of her head. Edem gave her a puzzling look , he seemed not to get the sign.

Uyai huffed under her breath. He was hopeless.
"You need to make your move now. Now that's she alone". She hissed. Her sister was quietly atop a large log of wood. Her hands were playing with a few strands of her hair while she hummed softly to herself. A small smile etched on her fair face as breeze flew by caressing a few strands. She seemed to be in her own world probably fantasizing about her dream man.

"Okay, now." Uyai watched as Edem swallowed loudly, already beads of sweat began trickling down his temple. He was nervous she could tell; his hands shook even as he rubbed his palm together to ease the tension, he was scared out of his mind.

It was time.

He blew out his breath and squared his shoulder. He took a step away from the confines of the palm tree. Uyai gave him a thumps up. 

"Remember what I told you." she whispered dragging her ear. "Take your time."

"Okay." He breathe.

"Now go." She urged.

He moved slowly and then paused, it was then he remembered the herbs he had plucked from his mother's small garden, which he clutched shakily in his hands, he was almost squeezing the life out of the poor plant. His mother had once said this herbs when used with a palm kernel oil worked wonders for hair growth and repair. He had such a perfect moment to give it to Affiong. So why was he hesitating?

The answer was simple.

He was afraid of rejection.

Edem summoned all the courage he had, he loosened his hold on the plant and began walking purposefully to Affiong who kept on fiddling with her hair. As he approached her, she looked up, just in time for their eyes to meet.

Affiong frowned...
Who was this man? And why was he looking so scared, and what was that he clutched in his hand? She watched him closely and was shocked when he stopped in front of her. She kept still, and waited. For what? She was clueless.

Edem looked at her, and was lost for words, she was more beautiful upfront, looking up at him with round brown eyes that looked puzzled. Her long black hair was twisted between her thumb and index finger. The blouse she wore did nothing to hide the swell on her chest, instead it enhanced the generous curves. Seeing the direction of his gaze, her small dainty hand had crossed over it. It was that movement that got him to snap out of whatever trance he was in.
It was then he remembered what he came for. His ears reddened in embarrassment and he averted his gaze to her face to find her looking at him accusingly.

He began just as Uyai had taught him.

"Rule no 1. You must compliment her first. Women love to be complimented no matter the reason. In fact, you need to praise her. Let her know the extent of her beauty, that will guarantee a smile from her . She'll want to hear more. There. You've gotten her attention"

"You must be Affiong." he started, and she nodded still looking puzzled. "I could tell by your outstanding beauty." he smiled and watched as her eyes lit up. Edem grinned inwardly. "You must be questioning why I am here. By the way this is for you" he said and handed her the herbs. She slowly took it from him and examined the plant with a frown.

What was she supposed to do with a measly plant? He even looked at it like it was a prized gift. Affiong didn't know whether to feel insulted or not.
She looked up at him wearing a stupid smile, and smiled back unsure.