Uyai (twenty-one)

"Hello Gift. You're all grown up. How old are you? Six-" Whoever the Uncle was, teased her.

"I am eight!" Gift said strongly. Uyai could imagine her stance and glare aimed at the Uncle.

"Already?"

Uyai and Affiong were about going to the kitchen when they suddenly came to a halt. It was the voice. It sounded so oddly familiar like... No it couldn't be? That was unlikely right?

"That sounds just like--Effiong?" It was Affiong who confirmed her suspicion and Uyai could only nod with wide eyes.

"Could it be--is that possible?" Affiong quirked an eyebrow.

"Perhaps? I don't know." Uyai whispered frustrated. What would he be doing here? No. It couldn't be Effiong, this man's voice whoever he was just had an uncanny semblance to Efffiong.

"Let's go check it out." Affiong suggested and began moving towards their direction.

Immediately Uyai stopped her by the hand.

"No. No need. It can't be him, how possible is that? Let's go the kitchen and mind our business." Uyai told Affiong. She had a feeling that she might receive the shock of her life if she decides to pursue her curiosity even when the odds were against it, that feeling still persisted.

It was strange indeed.

Affiong wrinkled her nose at that and then reluctantly she let Uyai pull them both to the kitchen.

There's was really nothing to be done in the kitchen so they just paced it's length back and forth. Affiong held her chin while thinking of God's knows what, while Uyai's mind had travelled back to the village.

She wondered how father, mother and grandmother were doing? Do they miss them? Mother especially would feel so lonely and she would have to deal with the aftermath of Affiong's mistake since gossip spread like wildfire in the village, she'll be sure to receive the brunt of abuse. People in the village were really merciless. They made it a seem a taboo to make mistakes forgetting that they were mortals.

"Aunty Uyai and aunty Affiong. Grandpa said you should come help with the yams."

Uyai and Affiong jerked at the sound of Gift's voice. Uyai blinked at the last word yams? The odds seemed to be in alignment with her earlier premonition.

Uyai turned to sister who had frozen in mid way. Her eyes met hers and Affiong shrugged. Her expression screamed "perfect opportunity to quell our curiosity don't you think?"

Uyai grimaced and nodded in agreement.

"we're coming." she told Gift who immediately ran out of the kitchen with a bounce to her steps and her hair swaying sideways . She seemed excited.

Uyai and Affiong hurried their pace, too eager to find out who that uncle was. When they arrived, the first thing they noticed was the familiar truck with loads of yams piled up on each other.

He was talking with Mr. Ekpenyong with his back to them. He dressed immaculately well with a clean and ironed striped shirt tucked neatly into his jean trouser held by a polished leather belt. He had paired his outfit with Timberland boots. Uyai's gaze ran the entire length of his form from behind, his dark hair had been carved perfectly to fit the form of his head. He looked great from behind.

So not like him at all.

When they heard their footsteps. They both turned at once.

He turned a little and spared them a cursory glance before pulling his eyes away. It was not up to a second before his head whipped back them in a flash.