Chapter Twenty-One

“It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.” ― Herman Melville

The rest of the week had passed by quickly, leaving little time for Giselle to sit and wallow in her grief and loneliness. It had only just hit her during her Skype call how alone she really was in her journey. There was no one around her that she could speak to that would understand. Things had been different for Harry so she wasn’t able to talk with him freely about it. But he tried to understand and help her through it.

The fans helped her through it, always mentioning her in tweets or on Instagram. Giselle enjoyed reading their kind words and even the not so nice posts too. It just made her realize that not everyone was going to like her and that was okay. As long as she was entertaining and staying with music for the fans that did like her, Giselle was more than happy.

Today was Tuesday, the day of her interview. She sat back stage in her dress with the jacket covering her pale skin, fixing the skirt every so often as her nerves ate her alive. The butterflies were fluttering with massive wing strokes so that she’d feel them for sure. Her fans were watching and continually tweeting to her and tagging her in photos and even Facebook statuses. Harry had even e-mailed her, telling her to relax and to be herself. It felt great to have his support.

“You’re on in five, Miss Hemming,” a man in all black with a headset told her. His hand was raised so that he could put emphasis on the time. Giselle smiled and thanked him so that he would leave.

I swear this is worse than Broadway, Giselle thought to herself as she stood. Her feet moved mechanically towards the entrance to the stage as she ruffled her hair which was down for the first time in forever. Missy had insisted on a new haircut so Giselle had gone with the traditional middle part that could be worn in almost any fashion with any fashion. Oddly enough, it’d been approved by the ever-so judgmental manager.

“As soon as she calls your name, Miss Hemming,” the same burly man from before said from behind her with a kind smile. Giselle smiled back at him and looked out to the stage. All she had to do was get to the blue chair without falling over in the ridiculously tall heeled ankle boots.

“So we’ve all heard the hit…I mean it’s been on every radio station!” Melanie Hockman said with a bright smile, her hands gesturing to the crowd how Paranoid had been on the radio. “We’ve heard the song, seen the video, and seen pictures of the talented girl. But we’ve never talked with her! So I’m bringing to you all today the beautiful: Giselle Hemming.”

Giselle started out on the stage, smiling at the cheering live crowd and waving at a little girl in the front. It was shocking to see her face painted on the front of the shirt. When did Rocket Records start selling merchandise?

“Alright, alright! I know she’s amazing but we have to actually talk with her too!” Melanie exclaimed over the roaring live crowd. Finally it quieted down enough for Melanie to talk. “How’d you like the entrance?”

“I honestly feel so loved right now,” Giselle said with a laugh causing the crowd to cheer again.

Melanie raised her hands and lowered them slowly, asking for silence. Her dark eyes glittered as she looked at Giselle. It didn’t make her uncomfortable but rather she felt welcomed on the prestigious Hockman Show.

“I’m just here to say that you look absolutely fabulous!” Melanie exclaimed causing Giselle to smile and look down at her outfit. Her hands nervously smoothed the skirt of her dress down.

“Why thank you. I really like your bracelets but I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to tell you,” Giselle said, trailing off rather awkwardly.