Chapter Three

“Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.” ― George Burns

“It is always so nice to see you, tesoro!” Camilla exclaimed as soon as she laid eyes on Ellie. Ellie rushed over to an elderly woman and hugged her tightly. Harry had never seen her do such a thing. Granted he’s only been around her twice before and once was only for a matter of moments.

“Nonna, it’s always so great to see you in the states. When did you get here?” Ellie asked, pulling back. Harry watched the exchange and marveled at the elderly woman’s beauty. There was no doubt in his mind that she had aged well.

“Oh tesoro, I arrived just two days ago. My dear, sweet Iliana kept me so busy that I wasn’t able to drop by for tea. But she mentioned some boy! Prediletto, you’re slipping!” Camilla said with a large smile. Ellie gave Camilla a full-blown smile and Harry lost all of his air. It was almost as though someone had punched him in the stomach. It was a smile that could stop hearts.

“Oh Nonna, I’m so sorry but whatever Iliana said is far from the truth,” Ellie replied. It was like a switch had been flipped. Harry didn’t recognize this Ellie.

He was lost. For the first time in three years, he was undeniably lost and it was all her fault. This Ellie seemed genuinely happy and light-hearted even if it would only be for a few hours. This Ellie was even better than the one he had seen last week at the dinner. He wouldn’t mind seeing this side of her more often.

“Harry?” Ellie asked, touching his arm softly. Electricity zinged around in his body and she seemed to feel it as well for she pulled back immediately. Ellie had successfully pulled him out of his thought process.

Harry caught Camilla’s look. It was one of those looks that elderly people get when they know something that people younger than them don’t. Harry believed she had perfected the look.

Ellie cleared her throat softly and began the introduction, “Harry, this is Camilla Castro, my soon to be grandmother. Nonna, this is Harry.”

“Just Harry? Oh tesoro, you have a fine young boy here. Bed this boy!” Camilla said, shooting Harry a knowing wink. Harry watched Ellie’s cheeks flush and his toes curled. For three long years, he’s been waiting to see that.

“Nonna, that’s highly inappropriate,” Ellie replied with the blush still coloring her cheeks.

“But, it gave me a good giggle,” Camilla said with a massive grin. Harry chuckled as he listened to the two argue before shifting topics. By this time, he had zoned out and began looking around to make sure no one would act indecent. There were plenty of people sending him glances and talking quietly with people around them. Harry was sure that the topic had shifted to him.

The infamous Harry Styles was at a family brunch with Giselle Hemming. There was not a doubt in his head that they would be in the papers somehow. Then the writers would twist it and change everything. Yes, he adored Ellie but did the rest of the world need to know that? No.

“So Harry,” Camilla started, pulling him out of his reverie, “my nipote is not a toy, do you understand that? She is beautiful and smart and great. You hurt her and I will hurt you. Giselle has been hurt enough, do you understand, boy?”

Harry nodded. Camilla seemed like a sweet woman until you crossed her. There was no way he’d be the one to upset her, same with Ellie. But Ellie was harder to get to, not easy to read on her first page and that might have something to do with being hurt before like Camilla had said. The mere thought of someone hurting her was enough to anger him.

The silver-haired woman tapped his shoulder lightly in a caring gesture before slowly moving around him to speak with Baxter. Harry automatically began searching the room for the fiery redhead. When he finally found her, she was standing with a tall, elderly man, grinning from ear to ear as he talked. They looked alike, green eyes, high cheekbones, and the same slightly upturned nose.