Haley's Diamond Heart

Chapter 1

Haley's Point of View

Grasping the silver pendant that hung from my neck, I sat down on the ground with my knees pulled up to my chest and leaned my back against the door. I slowly traced my fingers around the glimmering heart and felt the sleek diamonds that aligned it.

Never had I been given a gift of such worth. Confusion flooded my mind. How did I get into this position?

"Honey, I need you to ride home with Chris today. I can't pick you up from school." My mother informed to me through the phone.

"No! Oh my gosh mom! Chris is so annoying and his friends will be there! Why can't you pick me up?" I yelled to her. Chris was my older brother. He was the school player and an annoying one at that. He was rarely single, and every relationship that he had didn't last long. Don't even get me started on his friends. They were all jerks, just like him. The only difference was that my brother at least looked out for me. He could be a good person when he wanted to be and he was a pretty great brother even though I wouldn't admit that to him.

"I'm stuck at work. Just ride with Chris." She said hanging up.

"Ugh!" I yelled frustrated.

I walked back up to the school and looked for Chris. When I entered the building, I sent him a text.

"Where are you? Mom said that you had to give me a ride."

I walked to my locker and stood by it waiting for a response.

"Well, if it isn't miss Haley." Luke spoke coming up behind me. I rolled my eyes. Luke, a 5' 10" troublemaker with light brown hair that was cut to perfection, and crystal blue eyes that caught the right amount of light. He was a C average student that copied off most of the younger students and he was a downright cocky Junior. Luke was one of Chris' best friends.

"What do you want Luke?" I asked dryly.

"Hm, let's see here. That's a hard one. Umm, you." He smirked. He enjoyed bothering me. I believed that it was the highlight of his day.

"Awe, and I want a million dollars but that isn't going to happen either." I laughed and his smirk broadened.

"Oh Haley, you know how I love it when you get feisty." He winked.

"Yeah, you might want to get that eye twitch fixed, it's not very attractive." I smirked at him while he rolled his eyes at my corky comment.

"Whatever, one of these days you'll want me. Just wait." He said with confidence.

"Keep dreaming." I laughed as I checked my phone. "Have you seen Chris?"

"Yeah, he has football practice." He responded. I rolled my eyes and frowned.

"Dang. He is supposed to give me a ride home."

"Well, it looks like your stuck here with me then, because Chris is driving me home too." He grinned.

"Great." I muttered sourly.

Luke and I walked to the football field to wait for Chris. We went and sat in the smelly bleachers and watched his boring and long football practice.

"So who is all riding with us?" I asked watching Chris kick the football through the field goal.

"Brian, Terry, and Josh."