C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

Five months and 14 days later'

“He’s calling again.”

I look at Kat, and then back down at Chris, whose face, even though is healing, will have permanent scars there because of Gabriel’s claws. That’s the thing about werewolves. When harmed by a human, with a punch or a kick, healing would happen after minutes. But after it’s conflicted by another werewolf, it’s pretty sure to either stay there for a while, and take long to heal, or cause a scar that will remind them of the incident forever.

“So don’t answer it.”

“We can’t keep on ignoring him. We’ve been doing it for five months and God knows how many weeks, Ellie.”

I think for a minute, running my hand through Chris’s hair as he sleeps, before replying, “So pick up and tell him to piss off.”

“We can’t do that either.”

Holding out my hand, I say, “Give me the phone, then.”

Looking down at the caller ID, which for Gabriel is registered on the pack houses phone as ‘Hale’, I press the accept button, but wait a minute before pressing it to my ear. Then, like I wasn’t supposed to know who was on the end of the phone, still running my hand over Chris’s head as he sleeps, I just say to Gabriel on the other line, “Hello?”

“Ellie, Ellie, I am so, so sorry. But I need to tell you something importa-“

“Stop calling. I don’t want to speak to you ever again. I think that was pretty obvious when I didn’t answer all 204 of your calls.”

Yes, I might’ve kept a tally on a pad by the phone to see how many times he actually tried to reach me.

“Ellie-“

I pause, and then with a deep sigh, I say, “Goodbye, Gabriel.”

“What the hell is he doing here?”

I follow Kat’s finger, to find her pointing at the last boy I want to see. Not only did he completely mess up my friends face forever, he’s on our land. And with the war having started again, that could mean his death. Even though he hurt Chris, and I hate him for doing that, he’s my mate. And his death wouldn’t just hurt me; it would kill me, especially now we’ve come closer than ever before.

Staring at Gabriel, and the flowers in his hand, I reply, “Get rid of him, please.”

“Ellie-“

“Tell him to go home,” I interrupt her. “If anyone else smells him out here, which many probably have already, he’ll be dead in seconds.”

“Ellie-“

Pushing her slightly in the back, I just say, “Please.”

“Maybe he should go in with you.”

I send her a look of disbelief, so sighing, she starts walking towards the waiting room whilst I still stand outside the door, vowing not to step in there until he’s out, and back on his own land. That way do I not only know he’s away from me but that he’s safe too, which no matter how much I want to deny it, I do want. Just like he wants to piss me off, it seems.

Though I’m at least ten metres away from them, I can still hear their conversation clearly. And as Kat walks up to him, he looks up and notices her, and a smile appears on his face, I can’t help but sigh. There’s no stopping him. He’s been trying to see me for the past five months, and now I’m only weeks away from actually giving birth, he’s been more insistent than ever.

Luckily, the rogues and hunters haven’t come back yet, and I hope they don’t; at least until the little devil in stomach is out and a safe.

“She doesn’t want you here.”

Gabriel looks at Kat, the smile dropping from his face, “It’s her last check-up, Kat. Can I not just sit in the corner and stay silent for the whole time. I won’t even speak to her.”

“She doesn’t want you here.”

“I don’t care,” He replies, standing up, and forcing her back. I take a step forward, but then pause. He wouldn’t actually hurt her, would he? “It’s been five months. I need to see her.”

“Where is she? Can she see us?”

Kat considers the fact for a minute, and then replies, “Yes.”

Walking forward, pushing the door open, and stepping into the waiting room, I alert my presence by saying, “I don’t want to talk to you, Gabriel. I’ll get Uncle Rich to call you later, or something. But if you don’t get off our lands, don’t think I won’t consider calling in help and getting you forcibly removed.”

“Ellie-“

But it’s at that moment a door across from us opens, a man I’ve never seen before sticks his head out, and says loudly, “Ellie Nash, please.”

“Just leave me alone.” I reply to Gabriel, and then stepping towards the door, I grab Kat’s hand, and tug her towards the door. “That’s me.”

Two minutes later, I’m sat on one of the most comfortable doctor’s bed I’ve ever had the pleasure to sit on, whilst cold jelly’s on my stomach, and a stick connected to a monitor joins too. It’s only when the doctor’s face turns confused, that worry starts settling itself in my body.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, everything’s perfect.” Then with a small smile, the doctor adds, “I can’t believe we never saw this before. Which doctor did you have before? Because I think I’m going to have to have a word with them about their eyesight.”

“What?”

“Well, I think that explains why you’ve gotten so big.” Kat looks at me, I look at her, and then we both turn to the screen whilst the doctor finishes, “Congratulations, Ellie. You’re having twins.”