C H A P T E R T W E L V E

“You’re coming back with us.”

I look down at Gabriel, and then turn around, carrying on upstairs, “Uh, I don’t think so.”

“I do,” His voice sounds closer, but I know he’s not following me. No, he’s just raising his voice louder, trying to insert more authority into it. “C’mon, no one’s here. It’s not like you have anything better to do.”

I don’t look back and just reply, “Everyone will be back soon,” even though I have no clue when the rest of the pack will return. If they are actually having a meeting, it could go on way into the night like it they usually do.

“Ellie, what if someone else appears at the door? But this time, they really want to kill you?”

I reach the top step, and reply sarcastically, “I know kung fu.”

“Oh, stop being such a grump.” It’s Kristen this time.

And then Kieran adds, “We’re ordering pizza.”

It’s only then I notice that I really am quite hungry. It’s not really a surprise, but I can’t really be asked to make myself anything more than two slices of bread with some factory made product spread, or stuck, in the middle. I spin, being careful not to fall because that could be bad, and focus my stare on all the boys. They look like some kind of gang, all stood together in a group, Kieran and Kristen in the background, and Gabriel standing just a little bit forward like he’s coming after me. I stick with the statement that I’m not letting Gabriel and I be mates anytime soon, but Kristen, and maybe Kieran one day, is my friend, and I’m not about to let him down anytime soon.

“Fine,” I look at Kristen first, move my gaze to Kieran, and then finally settle on Gabriel. “But I’m only coming for the pizza.”

Kristen holds up his hands, “I wouldn’t expect it any other way.”

“That was such a sad movie.”

I wipe my eyes with the tissue in my hands for about the millionth time in the past hour and three quarters, as all three boys stare at me not knowing what to do with the crying, emotional pregnant girl. It’s Kieran that speaks first, confusion in his tone, “Ellie, she killed the man she loved.”

“I know,” Another tears escapes, but I catch it in the tissue before it can run down my face. “And I really liked that man.”

Something like a growl comes out of Gabriel, right from his chest, but I think the rest of us ignore it. I really can’t be asked to deal with a jealous mate right now. It’s not the kind of thing I need. Kieran and Kristen both look at me, similar smirks on their faces, and then we all burst out laughing at the same time. I keep my eyes off Gabriel, feeling the frustration rolling from him in waves.

“I’m so glad you all find some amusement in the fact that my mate is fawning over other men."