C H A P T E R T H R E E

“Ellie, you fat lump, would you get off me?” I hear Kat’s voice before I see Kat, and then I realise, that that would be practically impossible because my eyes are still tightly shut as I lay on top of the most uncomfortable mattress I’ve ever felt.

Another grunt comes from underneath me, and then a voice follows, “I swear to god I’ll never do this to a pregnant woman again.” I feel someone push on my shoulder, effectively rolling me from my front, onto my back, and then I realise what’s been happening. Once again, but this time double the size, I’ve been sleeping half on top of Kat like I always do when someone’s in my bed, even if it’s Chris, or Ben, his little brother. Though he’d probably get squashed and suffocate, he’s only three.

“Did you fall asleep here again?” I question Kat, finally opening my eyes, only to find nothing but ceiling. Turning my head to the side, I look at the girl in question, who, even though she probably woke up only minutes ago, is as beautiful as ever. Her hair, light brown in colour, lighter brown highlights in some places, is spread on the pillow like it always does when she sleeps. Her eyes, staring back into mine, are where I think my first love for the colour green came from, that and how I always used to spend all of my time in the forest, reading a book or drawing.

“Honey,” Her voice, sweet and high, matches perfectly with her looks and personality. She’s always been a girly girl, whereas I, with dirty blonde hair that never seems to be able to stay straight for more than a couple of minutes, and the dullest grey, almost no colour at all, eyes, am the total opposite. “You were the one who fell asleep on top of me. Unless you wanted me to move you,” I give her the same look I always do when she offers that the morning after, “I didn’t think so. You’ll just have to deal with me sleeping in your bed. We’ve been doing it since we were two, what’s the immediate problem?”

“No problem, just-“

“You woke up and wanted it to be the one and only Gabriel Hale?”

I laugh at her teasing expression and state clearly and slowly so I know she’s heard, “I promise you, Kat, he’ll never be sharing a bed with me again.”

“I’ll remember that one, Ellie,” She replies, rubbing a hand over her face sleepily. I know how she feels, a couple more hours would be nice, but she probably woke to the smell of cooking food, and I am not one, especially at this time of my life, to want to miss breakfast either. “When you’re older and move in together, I will be reminding you of this moment.”

“We are not going to move in together, girl.” I groan, “I can’t stand the guy.”

She sits up slightly, thinking, “Have you thought any more on the whole, being friend’s thing? Trying to get a long?”

“It’s not going to happen, Kitty Kat.”

“Maybe if you talked-“

“I’m hungry,” I interrupt, changing the subject, and I can see in her eyes that this topic is nowhere near the choice of being dropped forever. “What do you say to a pack cooked breakfast?”

---

“Ellie, can you pass the bacon?”