FORTY-FIVE

MID SEPTERMBER 2019

Odell and Christian sat on his couch, her legs and feet strewn across his lap, from the other end of the couch. Both were busy with different things, Odell reading a book for class and Chris trying to play FIFA. Only trying because he was distracted most of the time, eyes drifting to Odell every few seconds to watch her. Her hand was occupied by a highlighted, going over a few words every minute. There was a pencil behind her ear, sticking out among the strands of hair that fell out of her messy bun. 

The TV beeped, alerting Christian that his opponent had scored again. He only rolled his eyes, trying to skip through the replay.

"You know, they guys wouldn't think you were shit at FIFA if you actually paid attention to the game, instead of looking at me," Odell said without looking up from her book. Christian looked away from the TV, making sure to pause the game this time. She was highlighting something else on the page but after closing the cap, she closed her book, ready to give up on the reading. She would be able to get more done on her flight back to London.

"What would the fun in that be?" he teased, putting his controller down on the coffee table and turning to face her completely.

"You would actually win a game, and the boys wouldn't tease you for being shit at FIFA," she answered quickly, putting the book and highlighter next to his controller.

"You know I'm not shit at FIFA," he complained and she just smiled at him.

"That scoreline says differently, Chris."

"Well, it's because I'm distracted by how beautiful you are."

"That's cheesy."

"My favorite is gouda."

Odell rolled her eyes at the reference to her favorite movie, shifting her legs so that she sat criss-cross next to him. "You're so weird."

"So are you."

"Never said I wasn't."

The conversation fell silent between them and Chris and Odell just stared at each other. It was a common occurrence between the two, for them to just be quiet and look at each other. It was nice to just be in each other's company, relaxing with each other. They didn't always have to do something, just being there with the other was enough. Most weeknights they would FaceTime while Odell was studying and Christian was cooking, just so that they could have the other there for a time and not feel lonely.

<>

ohudson's Snapchat story

<>

<>

Chris and Odell back together for a short weekend, only to have it end. :(