Discussions Aren't Always Pretty

"You're sure you don't mind me staying with you for a couple days?" Skylar asked as they crossed the bridge entering Staten Island.

"Why would I mind?" Brian asked glancing over his shoulder as he switched lanes. "I'm the one that suggested it." He then lovingly placed his hand on her thigh squeezing lightly. If anything he would prefer having her close by the next couple days.

After he had arrived at the lake house last night, they stayed cuddled by the fire for some time. Once Brian looked down and saw that she had fallen asleep against him he very carefully carried her to bed and watched her sleep for hours. He meant what he said, this was the first woman in a very long time that he wanted to take care of. There was something about this whole situation that wasn't sitting right with him. It seemed like this asshole was determined to get Skylar to stay, to control her, and if he was the last thing he did Brian was going to make sure this guy got the message loud and clear they Skylar wasn't his property and wouldn't be working for him any longer.

"Uh oh." Skylar said when they pulled closer to Brian's house.

"You really surprised?" Brian replied seeing Joe's car parked outside of his house.

Joe and Bessy immediately jumped out of the car when they saw the familiar red Jeep get closer.

"What's up guys?" Brian greeted getting out of the Jeep.

"Skylar, are you okay? What the hell is going on?" Joe asked pretty much ignoring his friend.

"I'm fine Joey. Just had a little meltdown. I'm gonna call Pete today and hopefully get my internship back." Skylar said.

"I need answers Skylar! Bessy and I are done with you lying all the time. She's been up all night sick with worry. Your phone was off, we had no clue where you were!" Joe exclaimed.

"Like I've said before I know you both worry and as much as I love you for it, I am an adult. You both don't have to check up on me anymore." Skylar said.

"When you up and quit an internship that you need in order to graduate with no reason why and completely disappear, yeah we are gonna check up on you." Bessy argued back.

"I was just going through a little bit of something and reacted in not the best way. Honestly everything is fine now." Skylar tried to assure them.

"Skylar I've known you your entire life, you honestly don't think I know when you're lying?" Bessy stated with tears pooling in her eyes. "It always seems like you're keeping secrets!"

Skylar looked over at Brian who still hadn't said anything, "The only secret I kept was about being with Brian." She said lying through her teeth.

"Bullshit!" Bessy screamed in the middle of Q's driveway. Seeing her react in such a way shocked everyone, she never raised her voice like this. "Why won't you return my phone calls ever and how come I've asked you multiple times where you work and never seem to get a fucking answer?!"

Brian and Skylar exchanged uneasy glances. "He obviously knows!" Bessy snapped at Brian.

He took a deep breath before opening his mouth, "Bes Listen, Skylar is clearly not comfortable telling you that. You just said you've had it with her not being honest, stop asking questions that are gonna result in her lying."

"You stay the hell outta my family business Q!" Bessy exploded. "I didn't object to you two being together but when it comes to me and my cousin, back off!"

She then directed her attention back to Skylar, " I don't understand what the big deal is, unless you're doing something illegal or are a fucking stripper"