chapter IV

Dean knew the voice had to belong to a monster. As he turned to face the speaker, his assumption was correct. The man in his 50's who was probably the store owner looked at him with his now possessed black eyes. Wrapped under his elbow he had Rebecca, who he held tightly.

 Rebecca on the other hand could feel the bumping of her heart in her ears. This is it, she thought. Her now numb hands failed to grasp the hairy arm wrapped around her neck.

 "Let her go," demanded Dean, not taking his gaze off the knife the demon was clutching in his right hand.

 "Only if you give me the girl," the demon hissed, tightening his grip on Rebecca's throat. Her breathing hitched as she felt the blood slowly stop circulating.

 "No," Dean replied, knowing that with his answer the demon wouldn't react so well.

 "Aw, if that's how you want to play, poor Becca here should just die."

 With that, the demon pressed the sharp blade on her throat. The red liquid that began dripping down her throat was enough for Dean to react. With no time he pinned the possessed against the cashier, trying to pry his hand off the blade.

 "Too late," he said slyly. With a swift movement his strong hand sliced Rebecca's throat. It was then where he let her go. She fell knee first to the linoleum ground before dropping, dead. By the time she was on the ground Dean had the tip of his knife to the demon's neck.

 "We'll be coming for the girl," he hissed, before the demon inside him emerged with a dark cloud. The vessel of the demon fell to the ground immediately, unconscious.

 Paying no mind to the vessel, Dean went straight for Rebecca's body.

 She was bleeding so much that the blood had seeped through the thin material of her shirt. Dean wished he could have the power to bring her back to life, yet like the demon said, it was too late. Could he have saved her? No, he thought. The freak would have killed her anyways just to scare us.

 He cringed as he lifted her bridle style, Rebecca's head going limp and just dead as Dean carried her out of the store, fast on his feet. He braced himself for his brother's and niece's reaction.

 Sam hadn't noticed his brother walking out as he chatted with his daughter, playing 21 Questions, clueless to what was happening. The knock on the window of the passenger door made him jump from his seat.

 "Open the trunk," Dean's muffled voice said. It was then where Sam noticed the limp woman in his arms. The rain fell down hard on Dean's face, masking the tears that were brought from the feeling of not being able to save someone, especially his would-be sister-in-law. Rebecca's long dark hair appeared darker with the moisture of the rain. most of the ruby-red blood had washed out, yet the stain and the blood left or was still evident.

 Without a word, the young Winchester opened the trunk with the gear in the car.

 He bit his lip, not wanting to startle the girl in the backseat. His eyes stung and his heart practically stopped when he heard a small voice from behind him.

 "Why is momma going in the trunk?" Charlotte asked, her voice barely above a whisper. Sam didn't have the courage to look her in the eyes.

 "Momma's going to sleep, Charlotte. Forever."