chapter XV

The men had one chance to perform their scheme correctly.

  Well, they actually had multiple opportunities, yet they were hoping that they only had to do this once.

  Sam Winchester prepared the materials he would need for the summoning of a crossroads demon, taking them out from the Impala's trunk. Fortunately, the Winchesters had these supplies in handy, as did all hunters. He closed the trunk with a thud, and he took a moment to confirm that he had everything. With him, Sam had multiple ritual items. A photograph of himself, graveyard dirt, a black cat bone, and yarrow were all in his possession as he made his way to the crossroad. He walked in the moonlight, his shadow following him behind.

  The men had agreed for the youngest Winchester to do this by himself. With them in the Impala nearby, of course.

  Taking out a red spray can and shaking it before use, Sam started on his devil's trap in the middle of the intersection. This would ensure that any demon that will be summoned will most likely be trapped by this symbol. Carefully, he drew the circle, making sure to include all parts of the trap. When done, he bent down in the middle and began digging away soil with his hands. Once the hole seemed appropriate, he put the items inside. Standing up with an exhale, he brushed his hands on his distressed jeans. Head down with his hair falling over his face, the Winchester brushed the dirt back in with his boot.

  It was time.

  The demon appeared behind him. Sam was still putting the dirt back in.

  "I was summoned."

  Sam's movements stopped and his shoulders tensed as he recognized the young woman's voice. Before turning around to face her, he made his way out of the trap quickly and cautiously not to smudge it.

  He turned around, facing his red-eyed daughter.

  This was not who Charlotte expected her first customer to be.

  "Sam?" She spoke out, confused yet curious, eyebrows furrowing, "What do you want?"

  "You need to stop this while you can, Charlotte. As your fath-"

  "No. Don't go there, Sam. You have absolutely no right. To call yourself a father? Now that's just too far. You have no control over me," Charlotte spat, outraged.

  "Apparently I do," Sam responded. Out of all hunting trips he has been on, out of all monsters he had fought, this was probably the most frightening situation.

  Charlotte scoffed. "Oh really?" She said, crossing her arms. "How so?"

  All Sam did was look down at the circle trapping her. It didn't take her long to realize. She ran to the edge, blocked by an invisible force.

  Fear and distress was written all over her face.

  "Let me out Sam!" She screamed through clenched teeth. "Or I'll..I'll..."

  The moon's light hitting her features and her red eyes shining furiously made her quite a sight to see.

  "You'll what, Charlotte?" Sam burrowed his eyebrows, challenging her.

  "I will kill you! I will hurt you! Beat you until you are flesh and bones! I have so much now, Sam. So much more!" She yelled, fighting against the invisible force of the trap.

  "Really?" He asked, voice rising. "You really want all this? You really want to go crazy?"

  "I am in an entirely different situation than you were! I will never be like you."

  "Yeah? Go ahead," Sam said shakily, breaking the trap by rubbing it with his boot. "Beat me until I am flesh and bones. Go ahead, Charlotte."

  Charlotte stopped fighting against the force. She took a moment and looked down at her liberation. She looked up at the man who had left her when she was so young. She examined the features that resembled hers. With this, she got angrier.

  Face contorting with her eyebrows furrowing and red eyes squinting, Charlotte was exasperated.

  "Fine."

  With just a simple flick in her brain, she sent Sam flying, falling a bit away from a road sign.

  In the car, Dean jerked forward, worried about the situation. Bobby held him back by an extension of his arm, shaking his head.

  "Just wait, Dean."

  Sam got up as fast as he could, ignoring the sharp pain on his shoulder. He charged towards his daughter, toppling her over. She pushed him back, sending him father away from her. Sam fell harshly again, this time taking his time standing up. Charlotte made her way over to him, picked him up by the collar of his red plaid flannel and pinned him up against a tree that wasn't too far from them.

  In the darkness, she could see his already worn-out face. Looking at her under his lids, Sam breathed heavily. With all his might and squeezing his lips together, he spun her around and switched their places. His hazel eyes bore into her red ones, both of them exhaling and inhaling hard with their chests rising quickly.

  Charlotte was confused and furious. Why did he keep coming at her? Why did he keep going?

  So, she took a different approach.

  Pushing his hands off her, she took the moment of him stumbling backwards to throw an uppercut with a cross following it. That was enough for him to fall down.

  By now, his lip was bleeding. Charlotte fell on top of him, overwhelmed. Her legs cradled him as she kept throwing punches. Frustrated tears came over her, falling on the dirt beside them and leaving damp markings. Yet, it also started mixing with the crimson blood appearing on Sam Winchester's face, creating artificial blood tears that began streaming down his cheeks.

  Charlotte was huffing and puffing and crying. But why?

  "Why, Dad...how could you do that to me..."

  He was out cold, breathing shakily yet slowly, a mixture of blood and tears on his face and on his clothing as well. He was done fighting.

  And so was she. She laid her blood-smeared hands on his chest, hands still clenched. Her head lowered into them, her breaths were long and heavy, and her legs remained cradling his sides. She gave up.

  She didn't want this. She didn't want this at all.