For My Brother

I can't remember how I got into bed that night. When I awoke to the sound of my alarm. I was already in bed. Though, I was still in my clothes from the previous day with my socks and shoes removed. 

What bothered me the most was how cold the other side of the bed was. Like no one had been there or even slept there. It was empty. Even the blanket didn't even seem disturbed or even been touched on the side next to me

My body felt sluggish. My head throbbed, and my eyes stung with every blink. My throat felt quite parched. But that was too be expected. There was no way in knowing how long I shouted and begged at that door. Must've exhausted myself because I can't remember anything else after that. 

Did he bring me to bed? I don't know, can't remember. Can't recall. 

Quietly, I searched the house. Wondering where Devin was. My first stop was his home office.

The door was closed. 

I gingerly put my hand on the numb. It turned. And the door opened. But no one was there. It was silent. 

Where is he?

I checked on the dogs, Hunter was still there. So Devin wasn't out on a jog.

The kettle in the kitchen hadn't been heated. Did he not make his usual morning coffee?

The keys, his car keys.

They were on the counter with a note under them addressed to me. The handwriting was unmistakable, they were those of Devin's. I read it.

He said he had Simon pick him up so they could look over work. He left the car for me to go to head off by myself. I wasn't sure if it was a lie, he didn't need to look over work so early in the morning. It was clear he was using it as an excuse to avoid me. 

"You didn't have to leave the car," I muttered. The keys in my hand, and I held them close to my chest. At least, this meant he still cared. 

Tears formed. But I won't cry, I did enough of that last night. I know what I did wrong. The only thing I can do now is fix the mistake. That is my redemption. 

For the first time, I didn't head to the bakery the hour before everyone else. Melanie, found herself surprised to find the bakery door still closed when she arrived just before I did. 

"This is the first..." She said with a slight tease in her tone. "Did you oversleep or someone kept you up all night?"  

"Yeah, but not in the way you think it was," I sighed heavily, and opened the back door. 

"Oh...!" She softly gasped, "You guys had a fight?"

I gave a small nod. "He felt hurt about the fact I haven't told my family about our relationship. I don't know why I didn't. This is all my fault." 

"Ethan..." Melanie gently put a hand on my shoulder. "At this moment I want to berate you on how stupid and foolish you are on wanting to keep the secret about the awesome man, that is your boyfriend Devin from your family, however," her tone got softer, "you already realized your mistake, so there is no reason for me to say anything further." 

She is right. I am a foolish man.

I was remembering the last words he uttered before shutting that door. "He said we should be friends until this case is over. I think he means it, because I feel his going to be avoiding me as much as possible." 

"Well, you know who is in the wrong and you want to apologize, right?"

I nodded.

"So all the more reason for you to try prove that you're sorry. Both of you work in the same general area. You still have that contract you have to uphold with Rovern Firm and you both live the same house. There is no possible why he can avoid you forever." She said firmly.