Grand Opening

With the excitement of my birthday now in the past. A new energy been stirring in the air, as my new store is nearing its completion. The grand opening day is soon upon us and it's promising to be big. There's been a huge buzz going around town getting customers and employees excited, just as I am. It's been a long time a waiting.  

It's finally happening, the end result of all those years of hard work finally coming to full fruition. My original store was my beginning, but this new one promises to be the future. Everything I have ever dreamt of since I was a child is coming true. A bakery from my imagination and dreams, a vision becoming a true reality. A wish, truly coming true. 

The building destined to be my new bakery, use to be an old printing press facility back in the golden days. At the time when printing was beginning to take shape. The original owners needed more space, and so the brick building went from printing press too carpentry shop and ended up as a warehouse before it was my turn to own it and do some major renovations.

Many have asked why did I decided on such an old run down building. A building neglected and abandoned for a years, almost forgotten. I tell them it was the atmosphere, the way the old red bricks spoke of some timeless age. A certain feeling that it gives off. A vibe, that spoke to me that this building still had life in it. It still has much to offer. To me it was beautiful, even though it needed much work. The foundation and the structural integrity is solid and it will remain standing for the next hundred years. It would be a shame to let such a beautiful thing go to waste. 

The building indeed, needed a lot of work. It had to be retrofitted with modern systems, such has electrical wiring, climate control and ventilation. Also the fire safety systems, such as smoke detectors and sprinklers needed to be upgraded to modern standards. Piping and water outlets had to be changed and rerouted and the floors had to be redone. What was most crucial is outfitting the place to be able to handle large industrial strength ovens. So the ventilation and heat exchange is the most crucial component in the reconstruction. I decided to leave the exterior intact because this building is beautiful with just its red bricks, giving its own personal character.

The only thing changed outside would be the bakery's sign post that will adorn the wall. I also had the chance to redesign my own logo. Melanie helped me out with that. She works as a graphic designer at a small company. Working part time with me ensures she has, at least, some steady stream of income to pay bills and rent. 

My new place is roughly a five minute drive from the previous one, its literally around the block. I was originally thinking about selling my old place after I moved, but it weighed on my conscious,  because that little shop did it for me. It was where my dream started, took off and everyday my business grew and grew. It's located in a nice spot, on the corner of a busy street. And it too has a very comfortable and nice atmosphere to it. 

Devin apparently shared the same mentality about not wanting to give up the place. It was there where he first met me and fell in love. It was there, "as he puts it", where Cupid struck an arrow through his heart when he laid his eyes upon me. And also when I scolded him for trying to jump the line, even though he didn't.

Somehow, I consider that untrue because I would've easily remembered shouting at someone handsome as him. But then again, if it did happen, I would've saw him as merely a customer and not the attorney that I owe a debt too and one of the biggest pervert, or that fact he would be the man I'll fall in love with, in the future.

Another thing to look forward to besides the big opening, Devin has invited his family. His parents, his lovely two mothers, to the celebration. This would be our first meeting and I heard they were most eager to meet me. Since Devin had failed to mention to them that we have already started living together. I'm sure they are very interested in getting to know who this guy is. The one living with our son.