Chapter 5: Just A Small Detail

“Oh, crap!”

The dark-haired hunter purposefully let the curse escape from her mouth, just loud enough for her target to hear. As she kept up her persona and tried to innocently stuff her items into her basket she could feel his stares coming from the end of the supermarket aisle. She looked up and her heart fidgeted for a minute. It was so obviously the man she was looking for: Castiel, the Angel of the lord turned hopelessly human.

She never imagined he would be so attractive, but this was still a job so she stayed focused on the plan. It had taken her a good couple of weeks to track him down, which seemed easy enough now that he was human, and, even with her limited knowledge on his appearance, he was so obviously not an ordinary, every-day civilian. She guessed that he wasn’t very good at hiding his true identity. He stood, so static and, when he caught her eye, he looked uncomfortable and awkward as if he didn’t even belong on this Earth. She knew that he had no idea of the truth as he bent down and kindly helped clear up the fallen groceries of the girl who he would later care for more than either of them had expected.

XXXXX

“We need to talk,”

Everybody was silent as the strange words echoed around the hall. The plot twist in the room stared at the three men who were studying her now more than ever. Nobody knew what to say next ... except Dean who always had a quick, reflex answer for everything.

“I think we do,” Dean stated plainly, as always, trying to take control of the situation that was getting more and more confusing for him. Ellie rolled her eyes at the comment; a bitter response which surprised everyone.

“Not you,” Ellie answered, annoyed and irritated, asserting her authority before indicating that Castiel was the one she wanted to talk to as her eyes darted to his. Typical Winchester thinking that everything revolves around him, she thought.

There was so much defiance and anger in Ellie’s face, exactly like a hunter. She ignored Castiel’s hurt and heart-broken looks knowing that it was inevitably. It was as if Castiel was meeting Ellie for the first time, the real Ellie who knew everything about him, all of his past and his flaws. There wasn’t safety and comfort anymore that he could hide his true and cursed heritage. Nonetheless, Ellie kept her control of the situation and started walking directly and confidently to the exit of the warehouse as she spoke again.

“Not here though.” Looking straight ahead of her, she was talking to none of the men in particular. “I take it you guys have that tacky car that you drive everywhere,”

Then she was gone, with the door of the warehouse banging against the wall, replicating what Sam and Dean had done. It was a very odd moment. Ellie was so calm and light-hearted during this reveal, which was ground-breaking and painful for Castiel and even to the Winchesters who both felt like they had been scammed. All three of them said nothing as they followed the mysterious girl out of the large building, leaving the bodies of the tortuous Angel souls to decay, sprawled out on the ground.

XXXXX

Castiel couldn’t believe it. I stayed with Ellie because she was normal, because she wasn’t involved in my world. I loved her for it, he thought as he was led back into their wrecked apartment that now looked like it had stayed untouched for years. The car journey had, no doubt, been an awkward and uncomfortable one. Nobody had spoken and even Dean seemed reluctant to drive his beloved Impala. The Winchesters, who sat silently in the front two seats, were already confused with the evenings events and thought it best if they didn’t try and start a conversation, leaving Cas and Ellie to remain quiet in the back seats. Cas didn’t know what to say or what to do as Ellie sat completely unfazed and unaffected by her surroundings, as though she was on a bus journey.