Chapter 4: Snatched

"Oh, crap!"

Castiel heard a crash and, turning suddenly, hoped he didn't have to deal with whatever caused the noise. It was his first day on the job and he still hadn't figured out how the cash register opened and closed magically without some sort of spell or ritual. Looking up the aisle that was coincidentally directly in front of him, he noticed a young woman hastingly trying to retrieve all of her items that had escaped her basket when it had dropped to the white stone floor of the supermarket.

Looking around eagerly in aspiration that another, more experienced, worker would step in and help the brunette, Castiel stood still. He watched as the girl, whilst trying to compose herself, spotted him staring at her from a few metres away. They exchanged awkward glances before Castiel finally decided to move towards her to help. She continued in stuffing her biscuits and milk back into her basket as Cas bent down on the same level as her to do the same. They didn't talk much but their hearts were racing from the very beginning.

XXXXX

"Are you sure about this?" Sam's unsure voice traveled from the front of the Impala to Cas who was residing in the backseat. He hadn't been in Dean's car in months and missed the smell of the seats and the aged, inequalities that made the make-shift home so special. Castiel would have been more appreciative of his reunion with the Impala had his mind not been preoccupied on Ellie since they had left the apartment.

"Yeah, you do know that the Angels want you to go after them, right?" Dean's blunt tone also travelled backwards from the drivers' seat. His gruff voice complemented the harsh rain that was beating down on the roof of the car and blurring the road ahead of them through the windscreen. "And are you sure you can still understand that Angel lingo?"

"Yes," Castiel answered, mirroring Dean's bluntness.

Then there was quiet for a moment. Only the rain and the sounds of the car engine broke the silence. Dean found it instantly awkward and uncomfortable and so rambled on:

"You sure you've got the address right?-"

"Dean! Just drive!" Castiel's raised, harsh words silenced everyone once again.

Sam and Dean glanced at each other, shocked at their friend's tone. A few years ago, Castiel would have been calm, collected and undisturbed at a stressful instance like this one. The Winchesters were still getting used to this new personality of his. Cas began to feel a smidgen of guilt at his outburst, on top of his already panicked and worried feelings. He tried to settle and sooth the situation. He most definitely didn't want to go into this with his company being weak and distant with each other.

"Look," He began, as the boys continued to look blankly at the road ahead of them. "I'm not asking you to come with me, but I have to do this, for Ellie,"

The boys stared at each other once again but did not turn their heads to give Cas comfort just yet. In the look that they gave each they seemed to silently discuss their concerns about letting Cas openly and stupidly go to the Angels for the retrieval of just one human, but, on the other hand, the brothers always tried to favour humanity. Dean turned back to the road once more before speaking.

"Listen Cas, I don't know whether it's all this coffee you've been drinking, but if you think that we're just going to stand back and watch you make an idiot of yourself by going head first into this trap, then you're crazy,"

Sam turned around to Cas to show his agreement with Dean's statement making Castiel smile in admiration. Although Dean still had his eyes on the drizzly road, he knew the atmosphere had changed at his words and rightly imagined a smile across the ex-Angel's face.